• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anyone Selling XT-IDE Cards?

You've got XUB 1.1.5, if it's what I shipped it with. You may have better luck with correct recognition of the drive capacity with the newer BIOS, IIRC it implements the Phoenix standard for C/H/S identification and LBA translation.

I've had a strange issue with my new XT-IDE - It works fine on most HDD's, as well as my 1GB DOM... but there's one drive that it doesn't like!

My Maxtor 8051A (40MB AT-IDE) detects (and works properly) as 13MB! On other machines it detects fine (My 286 Clone for one)
Any idea why this would be the case? I was planning on using it in my Tandy 1000 as the power supply won't run a 5.25" HDD.

Not a huge issue as I can probably get another 40MB IDE to test fairly easily, I was just curious!

Bobby.

I remember reading somewhere way back that some old Maxtor drives had the byte order reversed for some values in the IDENTIFY_DEVICE response. I don't recall the exact details (and finding any info regarding this now seems nearly impossible) but I imagine this could be the cause for your problem. I am curious how your 286 clone handles this, perhaps you could dump the BIOS from that machine and post it here?

In any case, you should be able to override the detected size by enabling the "User specified CHS" in XTIDECFG and then setting the correct number of cylinders, heads and sectors per track.

I have two negative reports about coexistence with MFM BIOS-es. One controller was a DTC-51xx. The symptom was as you described: both controllers work single well but does not boot together. Jumper setting was correct: 320/C800 for MFM controller and 300/D000 for XT IDE.

A common problem with a lot of old controllers is that they expect to be the only harddrive controller in the system and so they don't play nicely with any other controllers*. I've been trying to come up with a way to fix this and one possibility might be to restore the total harddrive count (at 0:475h) to what they expect before calling the previous handler in the Int13h chain.

* If they play nicely at all. I'm currently looking at this MFM controller BIOS in IDA and not only is it using the total harddrive count in 'unusual' ways, it's also playing games with the BIOS timer ticks since midnight counter (at 0:46Ch), overwriting it willy nilly. It's no wonder why people, during the '80s, thought of buying hardware (or software for that matter) as playing the lottery as far as compatibility goes.

Many thanks to my friend who made a tests, photo and BIOS dump for this "problematic" MFM controller.
This controller is DTC-5150CRH rev D and BIOS is CXD04A. Image is in the collection now:
http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/rom/rom.htm (search DTC)

He also made a video showing this boot problem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9is6oPjqxls
the boot process from the MFM hangs

It is still possible to boot from the XUB-controlled device by selecting in menu.
The first MFM controller becomes a drive "D:" and XT IDE becomes drive "C:"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxkSdsZo5gk
boot is successful and DOS works with both drives well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIqE0ixZwrw

The XUB is r.591 with SERIAL_DRIVE removed and BOOT_MENU modules added.

Note a strange infirmation for the IDE drive below the menu. Seems a MFM BIOS overwrites
some vital information it the XUB RAM region.

MFM drive boots well when XT-IDE removed.

As noted above, jumper setting is correct: 320/C800 for MFM controller and 360/CE00 for XT IDE.

Note a strange infirmation for the IDE drive below the menu. Seems a MFM BIOS overwrites
some vital information it the XUB RAM region.

I'm not sure what you're referring to. Some characters are wrong but that's because the system BIOS or graphics card BIOS is using the wrong code page for high ASCII characters (wrong as in not code page 437).

Would I be able to use a XT IDE v3 in my Tandy TL/2? It has a built in 8-bit XT hard drive controller already but would like to put a newer AT IDE hard drive in.

I just logged on for the first time in a long while and just saw this, I have a V1 board and sure would be interested in a V3 one. Since its late I I can''t read all 33 pages are they still available ? Kit , bare or fully assembled ?

I just logged on for the first time in a long while and just saw this, I have a V1 board and sure would be interested in a V3 one. Since its late I I can''t read all 33 pages are they still available ? Kit , bare or fully assembled ?

Yup, all three options are still available!

Would I be able to use a XT IDE v3 in my Tandy TL/2? It has a built in 8-bit XT hard drive controller already but would like to put a newer AT IDE hard drive in.

I believe a few people here have been successful with TL/2s and the rev 3 card. Best to search the forums and verify first -- I no longer have Tandy equipment to test with.

My rev 3 XT-IDE just arrived and plugged it into my Compaq Deskpro 8086. Wow. Just dropped in some random 500 MB drive from the pile of misfit drives and it never ran so fast. No longer need to worry about the near-death ST-225. Much impressed. So I ordered another one. Thanks!

My rev 3 XT-IDE just arrived and plugged it into my Compaq Deskpro 8086. Wow. Just dropped in some random 500 MB drive from the pile of misfit drives and it never ran so fast. No longer need to worry about the near-death ST-225. Much impressed. So I ordered another one. Thanks!

Ordered from where? I'd like to get one, but I am not gonna go through all 9 pages of this thread to find out where to get it ;D

Ok I just installed a Rev 3 board into my Tandy 1000 TL2 and I am able to read and write to it and all but for some reason my mouse no longer works and some games that I run will no longer work. Are there any settings that I can change to help with these conflicts?

Ok I just installed a Rev 3 board into my Tandy 1000 TL2 and I am able to read and write to it and all but for some reason my mouse no longer works and some games that I run will no longer work. Are there any settings that I can change to help with these conflicts?
The symptom of "XT-IDE in Tandy stops mouse working" has been seen before, but the revision of XT-IDE card involved was 2. By default, the serial port on an XT-IDE of revision 2 conflicts with the mouse circuitry in the Tandy. But, revision 3 cards have no serial port.

Looking in earlier XT-IDE threads, I see, "I set the IDE I/O to 0320, which is the recommended Hard Drive address on the Tandy." Perhaps try doing the same. In case you are unfamiliar with the XT-IDE, changing the card's base I/O address for the IDE interface is a two-part action:
* Hardware: Change relevant jumpers/switches on the card
* Software: Reflect the new base I/O address in the XTIDE Universal BIOS

I have tried changing the i/o address but that did not help with the mouse working. I can confirm the mouse itself does work because I have a serial-USB adapter and hooked it up to modern PC. It did work that way. Any other ideas I might be able to try to get it working on Tandy?

I have tried changing the i/o address but that did not help with the mouse working. I can confirm the mouse itself does work because I have a serial-USB adapter and hooked it up to modern PC. It did work that way. Any other ideas I might be able to try to get it working on Tandy?
Loading a suitable mouse driver at boot time ?

I've tried loading both the Microsoft mouse driver and the Logitech mouse driver by typing mouse.com and then trying mouse.sys. Not at boot though just after dos has loaded. Says cannot find device every time.

I have tried changing the i/o address but that did not help with the mouse working. I can confirm the mouse itself does work because I have a serial-USB adapter and hooked it up to modern PC.

What xt-ide port/interrupt/etc. settings did you eventually land on that were working to boot the system and load programs successfully?

Back