• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anyone used Minuet?

I remember when it came out and someone suggested I try it. I did not know what I do now, and in fact was quite ignorant about these protocols and even what to expect. The result was that I got it installed and had a look, but didn't know how to complete the task and actually use it on line. As I recall, the instructions were completely referenced to a specific campus situation and not relevant to an outside user.

Setting up servers settings seems a pretty standard affair, ip addresses and appropriate ports. I've just used the later incarnation of it to transfer files via ftp files from my XP box to the Acros. Transferring the other way seems to have issues. Thought it may be because of the file attributes, came up with a read only error, so removed them with no change. I can create directories on the server ok and the server log mentions a file transfer has taken place yet no files are there. No firewall on the connection at all. No issues either way with the mTCP ftp client ;).

Last edited:
Problem solved. Extracted minarc17.exe over the top of the later one which has configuration info, and works a treat. Files transferring both ways and no random lock ups or error messages. Much easier on eyes and can scroll up and down the directory in tree view directory listing either by keyboard or mouse. It might be of interest to other dos ftp users. Down side is it being shareware of course it's $50 to register, free for campus users, if you use it for more than 15 days.

A case of newer not being better. The last version introduced a web browser by the looks.

Would make a great retro software project if source files were made available. Was there any other software of similar functionality, by that I mean graphical ftp in tree veiw program, released for dos?

Last edited:
I'm sure there was something else around that time, but I don't have enough cells firing at the moment to come up with it.

But $50!!! Do they really expect to get that much when competing with Firefox or Opera? There must be some mistake. I'm sure if you just offered them a buck they'd take it.

Sneakernet is getting a bit tired.. I've got a real NE2000 board around here somewhere, I should give that a go.

Wait, does it support a real network stack if present, or is it SLIP only? Latter doesn't help me much in this day and age.

Do you have a driver for the NE2000? The rest of the stack is easy. As for SLIP, forget it, just use your serial port and do PPP. Now I'm getting curious. I'll have to dig out a copy and see for myself.

I just downloaded a copy. You're right it's 50 bucks. So I sent them an e-mail at umn.edu. To wit:

Hello,

I notice that you are still charging $50 for the Minuet user
license. Is this correct or has there been a reconsideration?
Since you are competing with products such as Firefox, Opera,
and Chrome, which are available for free, it would seem likely
that you have adjusted the price of Minuet to match.

Please let me know as soon as possible as I may be interested
in using your product past the 15 day limit if I can afford it.

Sincerely,
Ole Juul

I just downloaded a copy. You're right it's 50 bucks. So I sent them an e-mail at umn.edu. To wit:

I'd be surprised if they lowered the price. Its not like they are actively maintaining or paying for the SW development. So if no one buys any copies they don't loose money.

According to this it is now freeware but the author does not quote a source.

Last edited:
Sneakernet is getting a bit tired.. I've got a real NE2000 board around here somewhere, I should give that a go.

Wait, does it support a real network stack if present, or is it SLIP only? Latter doesn't help me much in this day and age.
I'm just running the nic packet drive. Set the Minuet machines IP, ftp server IP, set up an account on the server and away you go. It's got its own tcp stack. Another option is the mTCP ftp client. It works a treat too, is easy enough to set up with DNS or static IP(how I'm using it).

The cool thing about Minuet is you can have an ftp session, telnet and mail etc active at the same time. I guess you could use it in conjunction with a Dos task switching utility if need be as well.

Versions _18,_17 and _16 are linked to on that Wiki Ol Juul. http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/minuet/
Nice email. Appears to be no pop ups demanding registration.

Attachments

• minuet1.jpg
    minuet1.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I'd be surprised if they lowered the price. Its not like they are actively maintaining or paying for the SW development. So if no one buys any copies they don't loose money.

According to this it is now freeware but the author does not quote a source.

Hehe, I just did that for fun. I didn't get a no delivery notice yet, so there's probably somebody laughing somewhere. :)

I'm quite disappointed you didn't mention the worlds most used browser ;) It's free too ya know :hide:
Arachne?

I know, I know. You're talking about IE. I honestly would have mentioned it if I knew it was free, but don't you have to buy the OS to run it on? That would make it rather expensive I think.

Actually, IE fell into second place behind FF a good while ago. Whether IE9 will make up the difference is hard to say, esp. with Chrome around.

When I saw Minuet, though, I thought of a productivity application from the 80's. I didn't know about this one.

On my 386 and better DOS boxes I use MS TCP/32, Netscape (v2.x to 4.x depending on the system), Lynx, and a WU FTP client. On the older ones, I just use the TCP/32 utilities (telnet, ftp.)

I'm curious to whether there is an ftp server in a similar vain.

Just configured then ran the mTCP ftp server on the CDS524 and Minuet on the Across. Transferring files both ways no worries. Just totoing really to get the hang of Dos networking and file sharing. For that time when a 286 or lower falls in my lap. I'm over the MS Client.

Last edited:
Caluser2000 - that's exactly the type of report I like to hear - "no worries". Just for grins, what kind of machine is the CDS524 (memory, DOS version, network card, etc.) ?

(I don't get feedback often enough .. knowing if the stuff is working for people or just not being use is really helpful.)

Caluser2000 - that's exactly the type of report I like to hear - "no worries". Just for grins, what kind of machine is the CDS524 (memory, DOS version, network card, etc.) ?

(I don't get feedback often enough .. knowing if the stuff is working for people or just not being use is really helpful.)
You're welcome Mike. It's a Compaq Presario CDS524-486DX2/66, 64megs(around 602kb convetional free with packet driver loaded), a DE220E nic(ISA with the BNC used), MS Dos 6.22, 140mg hdd. The Acer Acros is a dx2/66 as well with a Realtec(ISA pnp) nic. Both can access my XP machine using your ftp client as well without any drama btw. The CDS did have Mandrake 6.1 on a bigger drive till that went tits up so just been playing around with dos on it just because I can ;).

Ok I could use win/wfw something or OS/2 but decided to give mTCP a shot. I commented in another thread that I was finding your suite quite useful and was impressed with the documentation. Took hardly any time at all to setup after reading it and I'm not that great at following instructions. Until just recently I hadn't used a packet driver at all. I'm sure others will find it useful on those machines with more limited resources. As mentioned bebove I just want to get the hang of it for the time when, and no dought will, I aquire an older machine. Would save wear tear on aging fd drives and shoe soles too:).

Last edited:
Back