• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Apple //c lcd screen repair?

Towmater

Experienced Member
I have an Apple LCD (The little one like https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Apple_IIc_with_LCD_display.jpg) that has developed some missing rows. I tried the heat-dragging repair method used on GameBoys, with no success, the problem seems to be the glue used underneath the display that attaches the flex ribbon.

I have zero idea how to access that without damaging the screen's column connectors, and I'm hoping you have a solution or recommendation for this issue.

I have an Apple LCD (The little one like https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Apple_IIc_with_LCD_display.jpg) that has developed some missing rows. I tried the heat-dragging repair method used on GameBoys, with no success, the problem seems to be the glue used underneath the display that attaches the flex ribbon.

I have zero idea how to access that without damaging the screen's column connectors, and I'm hoping you have a solution or recommendation for this issue.

even on the original gameboys I have fixed , if there was glue its long since gone. I would drag a low power clean soldering iron over the contact pad back and forth and it would change the lines on the screen. Does the apple LCD have a similar connection, would doing so make any changes?

Does the apple LCD have a similar connection, would doing so make any changes?

That's what I tried first. The issue is in a seemingly inaccessible area beneath the LCD glass. If there were some way of making a controlled heating environment I might try heating the entire housing. I'm pretty sure my household oven is "uncalibrated" but I can try putting a thermometer in the oven to see if I can reach some level of control.

I'm hoping first that someone knows of a fix before I start EZ-baking the thing.

Maybe this stuff?

"3M ECATT 9703 is a pressure sensitive adhesive (PSA) transfer tape with anisotropic electrical conductivity. PSA matrix is filled with silver particles enabling interconnections through adhesive thickness (the Z-axis) between substrates."

Double sided sticky tape that conducts through but not across. I've used it with success on simple numeric automotive lcd panels.

I wonder if a hot air soldering iron would work. I also have a IIc LCD that has one bad row.

My fear is that the thin plastic ribbons will go all shrinky-dink on me. I am going to try slow-baking at gradually increased temps and watch for adverse effects. One might be boiling away the liquid in liquid-crystals.

can you post some photos of the items in question and what roadblocks you are running into here? we are only guessing as we cannot see.

Back