• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Apple //GS + Mac se/30 and Asantetalk together.

dabone

Veteran Member
I've got a //gs and a Mac se/30 that I'd like to share an Asantetalk,
it says it supports up to 8 devices on the localtalk, but how do I wire this up?

Thanks.
Later,
dabone

When last I checked (admittedly, several years ago), the manual was still available in PDF form in various nooks and crannies of the Web. As far as I recall, the procedure boiled down to: (1) Connect all devices (up to 8 plus the bridge, IIRC) via LocalTalk or an equivalent system such as PhoneNet. As was the norm in that era, each should be powered off while being physically connected. (2) Start all of the networked machines, but do not power up the AsantéTalk bridge box until every other device on the LocalTalk segment has booted far enough to have established its network presence to the other devices.

At that point, the AsantéTalk box is supposed to work out what LocalTalk devices are visible to it, and ready itself to bridge each one's traffic onto the EtherTalk segment. After that autoconfiguration takes place, which I vaguely recall taking somewhere upwards of 30–90 seconds (?), further operation is supposed to be totally transparent to the user. Be aware that any device which adds itself to the LocalTalk segment after normal operations begin will not subsequently be noticed by the bridge firmware, and thus will remain invisible to the Ethernet side of the bridge. Depending on configurations, that could include a previously known device, that had thitherto been working properly, claiming a different low-level bus address after a reboot.

Back