• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

APPLE II disks with IBM

joe sixpack

Experienced Member
Someone is giving me all there apple II disks that they dont want
because they no longer have the machine so far i've gotten 300
and they have at least 200 more they are digging out.

I want to dump all of the disks to raw format but i dont have a Apple II
I've looked at the disk formats and they are very very diff, I have heard of
a program disk2fdi that is suppost to beable to read them by tricking the
system and using two disk drives. Anyway anyone have any luck with this?
How accurate is the image next to the original disk?
I have the extra hardware to setup and test but if it does not work then why bother.

Apple II disks

Apple II disks

Hi,
As far as I know you will not be able to read the 140k 5.25 floppies on an IBM. Same would be with 800k 3.5 disks
CatWeasle a controler was suppose to be able to read almost all disks. Not sure they ever finished it for the Apple II.
A TrackStar board and one brand of IBM dive would be able to read and write Apple II. Or you could hook up an real apple drive to the Trackstar board.
As for disk imaging the disks. There are a couple of programs on the apple II side that will make a disk image that can be used on emulators.
This will only work if the disk does not have any copy protection on it. If it has copy protection on it, you can not shrink the disk, copy it, or in most cases even view what files it has on it.
From the Apple II side I can disk image disk or Shrink-It (like zip or Stuff-it), from the IIgs, put images or shrank disks, on Zip disk, put it in a Mac and U/L where everyone could D/L them
If any of the disks are the ones I am looking for let me know, I posted awhile back that I was looking for few programs. Looks like it might be time to Update what I am looking for and post it.
Take Care,
George

there is so many i have no idea what is on them i have'nt look at all of
them but most looked like copies or homemade stuff i did see kings quest II original. as for the CatWeasle they are old of them they said they are working
on the MK4 models due out soon.

thanks for the link terry, looks like i got some reading to do.
im going to try the disk2fdi for the hell of it when i get a few hours freetime.
Who knows might get supprised.

DISK2FDI may work for you.

If your PC drive is one of the many that work with it, it allows reading Apple II GCR disks. CiderPress for Windows will then allow you to convert your .fdi images to more standard .dsk images.

Note that there may be problems using standard images of protected software.

Many people have not yet heard about DISK2FDI and what it can do.

Back