• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Apple IIGS. Got a box finally

THAT was it. Thanks Trixter. The comparison of the ST, GS, and Amiga (not sure what model --which I can't find right this minute due to work web filtering) was based on Zany Golf if you want to google around for it. I think also Another World also had some interest between the multiple models.

I finally got around to playing the Atari ST version of Zany Golf, along with the Amiga one. I was actually surprised at how sluggish they ran despite having a "fast" CPU. Granted it was under emulation since I don't have the actual machines, I throttled the CPU simulation to "stock" speed. Its most noticeable on the Hamburger course. It could be crappy ports, but the stock 2.8Mhz IIgs keeps up with the two machines playing Zany Golf. I've read the 65816 was an efficient CPU compared to the 8088/86, don't know how it fares against the 68000.

For those that might be interested. I finally got around to adding the IIGS to my official collection page on the web.

Tez

Congratulations Tez. I know the feeling as I am certain most do here that one gets after a long wait to achieve a specific goal with a project. I for one "LOVE" your site and have visited it many times over the course of the past year since discovering it.
This is sort of off topic and I know you are not Aussie. No disrespect but I sort of link the two countries together in my head for some reason. Since this is your thread, I have this thing for listening to people from Down Under speaking. I used to "PARTY" with several Aussie sailors back in the day over in Pearl at the Sub Base; I even toured a couple of the ships back then and met a couple of guys from New Zealand as well. Being a steel tip dart man myself and pretty good at it back in the day I had some of the best times of my life slugging down Fosters and slinging darts with those guys. I have always thought it a shame they do not import Tooheys (at least to my knowledge) to the states; it is a "DAMN FINE" beer. Do you have it in NZ? I don't know if they still do it now due to all of the POLITICALLY CORRECT stuff but back in the late 1970's and early 1980's they used to run a thing called Dial-a-Sailor over at the Sub Base in Perth. They would hook shore phones up as soon as the boat or ship pulled into port and then the local Sheilas could call up and set up a date to meet an American sailor if they were interested. Needles to say, that did not always work out well concerning the fact some guys don't like Yanks anyway much less care for them stealing the women. A lot of our guys felt the same way when your guys hit our ports. Fortunately for me back then I cared more for drinking and slinging darts than the girls so I always got along fine with my cousin sailors from Down Under! BTW- I never did get me one of those vegemite sandwiches or is that purley an Aussie thing?

Anyway, congrats again and you have a GREAT site.

Last edited:
What!! You link Aussies and Kiwis together *splurts out my Tui beer*!

Naa, Aussies and New Zealander's are probably more similar culturally to each other than most nations. Some differences but not a lot..at least with regard to those of European and Asian descent.

I remembering being in Kings Cross, Sydney one night when the U.S. fleet was in town. Man, was the place jumping! You sailors knew how to party!

Anyway, thanks for the kind words about the website. Regarding the IIGS, I just put up an article about the acquisition. There is nothing new in it if you've been following this thread but it helps me keep track of what I do with my collection and when. :D

P.S. I always go for marmite rather than vegemite but I have been eating the latter lately. There is an acute shortage of NZ marmite right now, due to the only factory being closed down due to the 2010 Feb. Christchurch earthquake.

Vegemite it is then.

Oh, to answer your question, yes Tooheys can also be found in the wild here along with our own local brews.

Tez

You're welcome Tez. I also enjoy Ian Mavric's site over or should I say down in Melbourne at:http://ianmav.customer.netspace.net.au/trs80/
he is really heavy on the Tandy stuff which is my main focus.
I came across this yesterday while surfing down under, you may like it if you have not seen it before.

Is This Australia's First PC? March-1978
Or just the most modified TRS-80?

TRS-80 Model One.
26-1001 Model 1 Level 1 4k CPU/Keyboard.

trs-80top.jpg

I found it at: http://www.dontronics-shop.com/is-this-australias-first-pc.html

I just love stuff like that!
BTW- Ya got me on the Marmite mate; I had to look that one up to see if it was sort of the same thing!

P.S.- I forgot to tell ya Tez; there are a lot more PICS on that page and a very interesting article regarding the early days of Aussie PC computing.

Last edited:
You're welcome Tez. I also enjoy Ian Mavric's site over or should I say down in Melbourne at:http://ianmav.customer.netspace.net.au/trs80/

Yes, seen Ian's site. Him and I drop notes to each other now and again. He's a keen '80s man through and through and does a great job supporting the Tandy machines in OZ. I read that other site you mentioned a while back too. Great stories of the early days from those that were there.

Tez

Back