• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Apple IIGS having issues with audio playback under GS/OS 6.0.1

MissArgent

Veteran Member
So, I recently got my GS built up with a ReactiveMicro Drive and a Briel 4MB RAM card. Things were going smoothly, but suddenly I've found myself noticing some odd behavior on the sound side of things.

The sound control panel DONKs at me just fine and SynthLab plays back properly too, but other programs are stumbling. Desk accs like Megabox and co. consistently complain about the audio tools being in use, and trying to load a module file in DeskPlay just locks the whole system up. I was thinking this was going to be a file corruption issue so I reinstalled my tools and DAs, but problems persisted. I figured I'd try a clean install on a different cF card to see if this was something with a system file in general, but a freshly set up copy of 6.0.1 is experiencing the same issue! Could I have a hardware fault on my hands?

Last edited:
I'd suggest pulling out the Briel 4MB ram card and then see what happens sound wise. If it still acts weird then something else has gone wrong. What that might be I have no idea, since I'm not a hardware guy. Good luck.

No changes after swapping back to my first-party 670-0025-A IIGS Memory Expansion fitted with 1MB of RAM. PSU voltages all look to be within spec. One of the 12s was running closer to 11.70 and that's probably worth looking at, but for the time being I think that's still within margins?

I'd look elsewhere for the problem, usually computer power supply voltages are considered ok if they are within +/- 5% of the specified voltage (and sometimes even as much as 10%).

Do other audio programs like SoundSmith work ok?
Soundsmith's opening demo starts fine with audio, but crashes when it tries to load the UI. Oddly, NoisePlay 2.0 seems to be fine, too, with both native formats and imported .MODs.

Ed.: NAILED IT

The Google-Friendly Solution: Uninstall the Alarm Clock DA from DeskWorks if you have it. Also, don't just migrate all your customizations off the bat when you're making a clean install.

Last edited:
No surprises there. The DeskWorks DAs are very old and not System 6 friendly.

The Apple IIGS had a built-in audio playback device called the Soundblaster 16. It was able to play 16bit audio files but could not support 24bit files. This has led to issues with audio playback on the machine under GS/OS 6.0.1.

Back