• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Apple IIgs proper period correct peripherals?

I haven’t looked at the schematics, but can anyone tell me off the top of their head what rail in the power supply is the power LED on? If it’s the +12v rail, mine is a little low. Which is why I thought I should recap it. Plus it’s normal brightness unless the disc seeks. Then it’s almost off sometimes in heavy seeking games. Maybe there’s pin corrosion on the headers. Or I’ll try a different floppy drive before I get carried away with caps.

Plus I’m above average soldering skills at through hole boards. So not to worry, I won’t ruin the power supply if I do recap it.

Do you have a scope or a fast sampling DMM that will record what is happening with the +12V supply? From your description there certainly could be filter cap on the +12V supply that is getting a higher ESR or has dropped in capacitance. Do you happen to have a suitable cap of similar value you could tack across +12V and ground? That might give you a clue if recapping is warranted.

Do you have a scope or a fast sampling DMM that will record what is happening with the +12V supply? From your description there certainly could be filter cap on the +12V supply that is getting a higher ESR or has dropped in capacitance. Do you happen to have a suitable cap of similar value you could tack across +12V and ground? That might give you a clue if recapping is warranted.
Unfortunately no working scope.

I do have a cheapo esr meter. I could just remove the cap and see but at that point might as well install a new one.

To everyone who helped me out with the odds and ends putting this machine together, thanks again!

Finally buttoned it up! Retrobrite looks good! Ps has been recapped and runs well, and I’ve got period correct keyboard, cables, and floppy drives! Exactly like I used in in grade school! Now just adt-pro and some games and I’m in business!

Attachments

• CB83E160-BCBD-4FEA-A464-6C09F96F070E.jpeg
    CB83E160-BCBD-4FEA-A464-6C09F96F070E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
Back