• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Apple IIGS Ticking Noise

That’s for that info. Before I started changing caps I used another PSU all together. A known PSU with zero issues. No ticking but the 5.25 drive in use light was still flickering. I loaded a program with sound and no sound at all on the program either. Now the internal speaker isn’t working all. External speakers work fine. I tested the speaker and the speaker is fine. But with the 5.25 light still flickering I’d say the issue is still present with a good PSU. Now I have another problem, why did the speaker that still works just stop working? 😩
The 5.25 light flash is the drive chain being polled by GS/OS, that's normal. Somehow I forgot that.

As I mentioned earlier I guess I'm just lucky. I've had my ROM 01 for over ten years, I think, and have never had any sort of ticking noise in all that time. I've been running GS/OS, 6.0.1 to 6.0.4, since I got it.

The bus noise on a ROM 01 can be heard when the Mockingboard is installed for example, you will hear high pitched noise when a card like the microdrive is loading. But it's not a constant tick or anything of the sort. And I have recorded sound from the machine a few ways with no problems. When I do use the mockingbaord, booting from a floppyemu is slightly less noisy than a microdrive.

I would recommend solving your issue to completion regardless [to elminiate any tick], but, installing a stereo card like the Byteboosters DarkSound which takes the sound right from the ensoniq sound chip is a good way to go. They sound really nice, it's a shame the IIgs headphone output is mono 😐

If one wanted to use both a Mockingboard and a stereo Ensoniq card, what's the simplest way to combine the audio? I believe the Mockingboard internal connection to pass through audio is only mono.

If one wanted to use both a Mockingboard and a stereo Ensoniq card, what's the simplest way to combine the audio? I believe the Mockingboard internal connection to pass through audio is only mono.
At that point I use an external 2 or 3 channel mixer. There are ones the size of a cassette tape or so on Amazon; I run each of the internal, ensoniq, and mockingboard to a channel. Then they have their own volumes, and you can turn down or off the noisy mockingboard when not in use.

I have one of these Hyperstudio slotless soundcards from Roger Wagner for the IIGS. Anyone know anything about them? I never really tried using it and mine came with the original 40mm cooling fan to slot onto the internal psu.
Hyperstudio-Sound-Card.jpg

It's designed to be used with the provided microphone to record mono sound input for HyperStudi Stacks. Alternatively you can hook the output from a sound card to it record for use in HyperStudio Stacks. You can also record sound for any other use. Back in the day I recorded myself saying hello to my wife to play when she got home from work.

Back