• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Apple IIgs woes

wmmullaney

Veteran Member
I have an Apple IIgs Woz 01 that I would like to get running gs/os. I also bought an Apple 3.5" drive, a9M0106. The drive makes a small noise on startup, and another when the boot error occurs, but it refuses to read any of my disks. In the control panel setting it to either scan or slot 6 changes nothing. Is my drive shot? Or possibly the IIgs itself?

Thanks for any help ;)

Thanks for the suggestion, but slot 5 acts the same way. Yep, one is a gs/os 6.0.1 boot disk, and the other is a program called VCR Companion. Both listed as bootable in documentation.

Are you using original disks or copies? That drive is 800K DD not 1.4MB HD. Could be your disks are bad, or the drive needs cleaning. If you have both 5.25" and 3.5" drives daisy chained make sure the 3.5" are connected to the IIgs first.

The GS/OS disks are copies, but have been successfully used before I got them, VCR companion is a new original. Both are DD disks. I don't have any 5.25" drives for the gs, just a few IIs and a Duo. The 3.5 is the only device connected. An apple 800k for the mac wouldn't work, right?

Thanks!

The GS/OS disks are copies, but have been successfully used before I got them, VCR companion is a new original. Both are DD disks. I don't have any 5.25" drives for the gs, just a few IIs and a Duo. The 3.5 is the only device connected. An apple 800k for the mac wouldn't work, right?

Thanks!

Depends on the drive. This guide is handy:

Apple Floppy Drives

I had one of my 3.5 drives go bad before. No amount of head-cleaner worked. Ended up just buying another one off ebay for $11. Seriously, they're not that expensive.

It's been my experience that a lot of the auto-inject Apple floppy drives fail due to lack of lubrication. I had to take my IIgs 3.5" floppy apart and remove the dried up, dust filled grease. I replaced it with white lithium grease -- you should use a similar heavy grease, no light oils like WD-40 (though WD-40 will dissolve the old grease if it's really hardened).

It's been my experience that a lot of the auto-inject Apple floppy drives fail due to lack of lubrication. I had to take my IIgs 3.5" floppy apart and remove the dried up, dust filled grease. I replaced it with white lithium grease -- you should use a similar heavy grease, no light oils like WD-40 (though WD-40 will dissolve the old grease if it's really hardened).

I agree, this is exactly how I fixed a drive on an LCIII. I had to take the drive apart, blow out all the dust and lubricate lightly and reassemble. That's worth a try anyway!

Back