• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ASCI u68 System X information

robertcx

I have recently acquired a rather rare ASCI u68 System X unit, which is based on the 6800 microcontroller. Here is some useful information for these systems:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1wdHDkwM6A9kEHPbDTRor-tSnDalaOts4?usp=sharing

Unfortunately, my unit did not come with any documentation whatsoever, and there is very little info on the web. Therefore, I had to perform a significant reverse-engineering exercise to work out how to drive these systems. This was successful, and the result is the information you can see from the supplied link. However, it would still be great to get hold of the original documentation.

So if anybody does have the original documents for this unit, it would be fantastic if you could scan them and put them on this forum for others to use.

I now have a FREE archive for all of the single board computers I have worked with here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...UR?usp=sharing

This contains monitor ROM and other firmware images, documentation including user manuals, data sheets, etc. Much of this info is available elsewhere on the web, but often not as well organised, and some is only available here, for example monitor ROM images extracted from certain boards in my possession, disassembly listings of certain monitor ROMs, and documentation I have written myself.

If you desire access to things I have developed myself, such as utility ROMs, RAM images and loader programs, there is an additional paid archive available. Details are included in the enclosed README file. The boards I have worked on include:

* Intel SDK-80
* Intel SDK-85
* Intel SDK-86
* Intel SDK-51
* Intel SBC-80-10
* Motorola MEK6802D5 (or Elenco XK-300)
* Motorola MEK6802D5 with Elenco 6809 upgrade
* Synertek SYM-1
* Rockwell AIM-65
* Micro Professor
* E&L Fox MT-80AZ
* SD Systems Z80 Starter Kit
* Texas Instruments TM990/189 (TM990/U89)
* CAMI research micro-trainer
* SEL Z80
* Profi-5E
* SGS Nanocomputer
* Intersil Concept-48
* Intersil Intercept Jr
* Sinclair MK14 (complete replacement monitor available, allowing serial upload of MK14 programs)
* Hampden MCB-1A
* ASCI u68 System X ***NEW***

All utility ROM and RAM images are provided in Intel Hex format, along with full source code and all required utilities to assemble, upload and execute on the respective boards.

Nice writeup of this really nice looking trainer. Could I suggest that you modify the Information to reflect the pinout consistent with the EXORbus? The power pins are dead-on for EXORbus, but it uses very different pin designations than you have used (Note the 'A' at the lower left side of the edge connector). I think you will find it is the same bus as the MEK6802D5 and ELENCO XK-300 that you have documentation for.

Last edited:
I've updated the document to reflect the correct EXORciser bus pinout, and also included an EXORciser document found on the web (rather poor resolution, I'm afraid).

I have recently acquired a rather rare ASCI u68 System X unit, which is based on the 6800 microcontroller. Here is some useful information for these systems:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1wdHDkwM6A9kEHPbDTRor-tSnDalaOts4?usp=sharing

Unfortunately, my unit did not come with any documentation whatsoever, and there is very little info on the web. Therefore, I had to perform a significant reverse-engineering exercise to work out how to drive these systems. This was successful, and the result is the information you can see from the supplied link. However, it would still be great to get hold of the original documentation.

So if anybody does have the original documents for this unit, it would be fantastic if you could scan them and put them on this forum for others to use.

I now have a FREE archive for all of the single board computers I have worked with here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...UR?usp=sharing

This contains monitor ROM and other firmware images, documentation including user manuals, data sheets, etc. Much of this info is available elsewhere on the web, but often not as well organised, and some is only available here, for example monitor ROM images extracted from certain boards in my possession, disassembly listings of certain monitor ROMs, and documentation I have written myself.

If you desire access to things I have developed myself, such as utility ROMs, RAM images and loader programs, there is an additional paid archive available. Details are included in the enclosed README file. The boards I have worked on include:

* Intel SDK-80
* Intel SDK-85
* Intel SDK-86
* Intel SDK-51
* Intel SBC-80-10
* Motorola MEK6802D5 (or Elenco XK-300)
* Motorola MEK6802D5 with Elenco 6809 upgrade
* Synertek SYM-1
* Rockwell AIM-65
* Micro Professor
* E&L Fox MT-80AZ
* SD Systems Z80 Starter Kit
* Texas Instruments TM990/189 (TM990/U89)
* CAMI research micro-trainer
* SEL Z80
* Profi-5E
* SGS Nanocomputer
* Intersil Concept-48
* Intersil Intercept Jr
* Sinclair MK14 (complete replacement monitor available, allowing serial upload of MK14 programs)
* Hampden MCB-1A
* ASCI u68 System X ***NEW***

All utility ROM and RAM images are provided in Intel Hex format, along with full source code and all required utilities to assemble, upload and execute on the respective b
Used the ASCI System X in a microprocessor class in college (1983). Still have a copy of the user and lab manuals, schematics and the LS-DR digital cassette manual.

Back