• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

AST Vision 4L to HV (Hermes and bad packaging strikes again)

cwathen

Experienced Member
Having waited since 1998 to re-own an AST Advantage PC, my latest acquisition turned up today, complete with the original AST Vision 4L 14" CRT monitor. From another sale I have the original keyboard and mouse and original manuals and software pack to recreate a fully matched system.

I cringed when the courier was Hermes, and cringed more when it turned up...another CRT transported the 'right' way up rather than screen down, extra padding on the screen itself which is the least likely part to get damaged but only a single layer of bubble wrap and a bit of cardboard on the bottom to prevent it from shocks along the way. TBF at least some effort was made to stabilise it within the box and rather a lot of 'fragile' tape was used (not that I imagine Hermes took any notice of that).

Plugged it in, no HV. It was shown working in the listing so obviously it did work and has been damaged in transit. Thankfully, the flyback is an on-board type which has saved the tube from snapping. The logic is powered up as the power saving light responds to a signal being applied, but no HV at all. Nothing obviously looks damaged though. And there are no arcing or other nasty noises from it to suggest damage to the CRT or flyback. Any idea where to start?

Some pictures below

EDIT - cancel all that, hairline crack on the back of the tube. Another beautiful CRT monitor lost to ignorance

Attachments

• CRTPICA.jpg
    CRTPICA.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 3
  • CRTPIC1.jpg
    CRTPIC1.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 3
  • CRTPIC3.jpg
    CRTPIC3.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 2
  • CRTPIC4.jpg
    CRTPIC4.jpg