• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

AT Mini-Tower Wanted

Jibbajaba

Experienced Member
Hello,

The last thing I need to get my 486 project to what I consider to be completed is an AT case to replace the one that I am now using.

This is a description of a perfect scenario case. It doesn't mean that it has to be EXACTLY like this, but this is what I am shooting for:

AT mini-tower with 2 5.25" bays and at least 1 exposed 3.5" bay and probably 2 more 3.5"s for hard drives. LED display to display MHz in turbo and non turbo mode (therefore of course needs a turbo button as well). Front-mounted rocker-style toggle power switch.

Needs to be in very nice condition. Dents, excessive yellowing, scratches, etc will not do. I know this all sounds super-picky, but I am not desperate for a new case, so I will wait until I find exactly what I want before I buy something. The case I have works, but I am not satisfied with it for purely cosmetic reasons.

Something like a mini-tower version of this would be perfect (doesn't have the rocker toggle switch but you can't have everything):

attowernp2.jpg

Thanks,

Chris

I was reading your post in more detail and it looks like my case will not work. It does not have a Turbo Button and Frequency Display. Thanks

I've recycled a few dozen over the last six months, how about you, Mike?
------
Where do you recycle them? As a matter of fact, I have two sitting on my porch that were supposed to go out for collection yesterday, but as it happens I made an unexpected visit to your fair city yesterday evening so they're still here. Didn't have time to stop by & say hello, alas; also got a $12.00 parking ticket, grrr...

mike

Ah, don't sacrifice the quality of the casing for the tacky LED frequency display. As far as I can remember, all of the best casings did not have a display.

Ah, don't sacrifice the quality of the casing for the tacky LED frequency display. As far as I can remember, all of the best casings did not have a display.
-----
Pshaw! Gotta have the display for the true flavour of clones of the day, preferably reprogrammed for impossible speeds, LO/HI, or your initials if possible...

m

------
Where do you recycle them? As a matter of fact, I have two sitting on my porch that were supposed to go out for collection yesterday, but as it happens I made an unexpected visit to your fair city yesterday evening so they're still here. Didn't have time to stop by & say hello, alas; also got a $12.00 parking ticket, grrr...

mike

Got a guy that lives down the street that collects scrap metal and plastics and he's more than happy to take the stack of clone cases I generate.

I once put out 21 old cases for city bulk pickup and they were gone less than two hours later, never saw the inside of the city truck.

12 bucks? Didn't think they had anything that low. See, should have parked in my driveway, I only charge 8 bucks LOL

I have something kind of like the case you are looking for, except it's a full computer, I have intend to part with it eventually (as I already have 3, or technically 4 486 machines (counting the PS/2 9556, which is really a glorified 80386 SX).

amt486.jpg

Here's the full page on the computer
http://creepingnet.hotlightbulb.com/AMT486.html

and here's a bit on the power switch and digital readout, and how to configure them
http://creepingnet.hotlightbulb.com/technical/powerledreadout.html

That's awesome.

And yeah, I'm still looking. If you have one to sell, PM me with some pics and a price including shipping to 95616.

Chris

I had a full tower with the 2 digit speed numbers, it was a junky case which I gutted and tossed a long time ago (flexed too much and I hated how the motherboards mounted in it).

Enlight cases were great for the AT period, but my favorite is an Inwin AT case where the motherboard tray slides out with all the cards mounted (they had AT and ATX mounts for those cases). Solid construction, thick metal 1mm, no sharp edges).

I had a full tower with the 2 digit speed numbers, it was a junky case which I gutted and tossed a long time ago (flexed too much and I hated how the motherboards mounted in it).

Enlight cases were great for the AT period, but my favorite is an Inwin AT case where the motherboard tray slides out with all the cards mounted (they had AT and ATX mounts for those cases). Solid construction, thick metal 1mm, no sharp edges).

I actually have a case here that is as you describe. Not sure what brand it is but it has the slide-out tray for the mobo and it is well built. I am thinking about just using it because I cant find anything else around here. It doesn't have the rocker switch, turbo button, or LED, but to be honest I only wanted those things to give the computer a more classic look. It is a 486 DX4/100 so it actually doesn't need a turbo button or LED display.

Chris

I agree. Inwin and Enlight made the best cases. I used them exclusively on all my new systems up until a few years ago when I started using a laptop only. I have an inwin desktop and mini-tower just like the one pictured above, though both of mine are ATX. I converted the desktop case back to AT though. I also have a brand stinkin' new enlight minitower case, but some bastard lost the motherboard tray. I've been keeping it around for years hoping I would one day be able to find another one or figure out how to make my own.

I think Mad-Mike's minitower case with the LED is also pretty good. I'm not sure who makes it, but I have the full-tower version. The steel used in the chassis is of very good quality. Unfortunately mine is missing the plastic sticker that covers the buttons and the LED display (this is my only system with the LED display). I've been planning to put some smoked-glass in its place when I have some spare time.

I also have this neat little AT desktop case. I think it may be made by kingspao, but I'm not entirely certain. Anyway, it comes with a hipro power supply, so I figure it can't be all that bad.

Back