• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

AT&T 3B2 400 Computer Review

TanruNomad

Veteran Member
Picked up my first UNIX system complete with terminal a few weeks back. Took a little while to get it up and running (I knew zilch about the thing when I got it and still have a lot to learn), but here's my review of it, mostly of the hardware. There's something so cool about owning a computer that sold for over $20,000 in the 80s. Probably worth the cost to recycle now...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLwd32muHwM&

Nice! I like the video, and the machine you got seems to be in really good shape. I should do a couple videos also with the BLITs I have, as those seem to be even more rare.

I've been collecting 3B2's for about a year or so (and collecting 3B1/7300's for quite a while as well,) trying to salvage and restore what I can.

3B2's seem to be getting harder and harder to come by these days. Sadly I found out my friend who worked for Verizon sent several off to recycling many years ago and unfortuantely, I suppose that has been the fate of many 3B's.

Have you gotten around the root password? If you grab a copy of the maintenance diskette, you can reset the password.

Nice! I like the video, and the machine you got seems to be in really good shape. I should do a couple videos also with the BLITs I have, as those seem to be even more rare.

I've been collecting 3B2's for about a year or so (and collecting 3B1/7300's for quite a while as well,) trying to salvage and restore what I can.

3B2's seem to be getting harder and harder to come by these days. Sadly I found out my friend who worked for Verizon sent several off to recycling many years ago and unfortuantely, I suppose that has been the fate of many 3B's.

Have you gotten around the root password? If you grab a copy of the maintenance diskette, you can reset the password.

Very nice to know someone is collecting and preserving these things. I'm very jealous you have multiple BLITs! Very cool. You don't happen to know someone that could send me a copy of the maintenance diskette do you? :D

Nice review.

I think you may be able to boot with a system floppy disk and reset the root pasword, provided it can boot from a floppy disk.

Picked up my first UNIX system complete with terminal a few weeks back. Took a little while to get it up and running (I knew zilch about the thing when I got it and still have a lot to learn), but here's my review of it, mostly of the hardware. There's something so cool about owning a computer that sold for over $20,000 in the 80s. Probably worth the cost to recycle now...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLwd32muHwM&

Great video, very comprehensive.

Also, what a cool system! I've never seen one in person before, but maybe one day I will...

And you have quite a nice TeleVideo terminal there, "attractive case styling" and all. :D

Back