• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

AT&T DMD 5620 Terminal Emulator

Twylo

Experienced Member
Hi all,

I recently completed writing a DMD 5620 Terminal Emulator. This was the commercial version of the "Blit" or "jerq" terminal developed at AT&T Bell Labs for use with UNIX systems. I hope it's not too off-topic for this forum!

Of course, to really get the best functionality out of it you're going to need a UNIX system that speaks the Blit packet protocol. I know the 3B2 had extensive support for the DMD in System V Release 3, so that's what I've been using to test it with, running on the 3B2/400 Emulator.

I put a demo of the DMD 5620 emulator up on YouTube:

It's available for MacOS X and Linux right now, and a Windows version is coming soon.

-Twylo

This is beautiful! As the owner of a real 5620, it's awesome to know that other people will get to experience it.

I'll have to try it out and see how well you did with phosphor persistence. On my Blit, you can still make out the last screen image for at least a minute if the room is dark :)

You'll be very disappointed with the phosphor persistence, I didn't emulate it at all... but that's a great idea for a feature for 2.0!

Back