• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

ATi Mach32 for proprietary local bus video slot (ebay)

It's for an AcerPower system. I can't remember the exact model it went with, but I definitely recognize the card and slot, because it was a pretty big "WTF" when I encountered one years ago.

No, the slot on that Gigabyte board looks similar, but it's a very different thing... it's not really a 'local bus' in the typical sense, rather, it was for memory expansion. It took a special card with a bunch of SIMM slots on it. A lot of 386 boards had a similar arrangement, and some even put the cache on the expansion card.

I'm 100% certain that VGA card is for an Acer. Looking up the FCC ID number confirms that.

ISA and VESA Local Bus?

Proprietary. It uses the ISA part for basic addressing and such, then the data transfer is done through the local bus connection... it's similar to how VLB works, but this one is not actually VLB in any way, shape or form.

There were probably a dozen or so different proprietary local bus schemes developed before everything standardized onto VLB, but they were all short-lived and didn't sell all that well, so cards and motherboards that support them are pretty rare nowadays.

Oh, and to njroadfan, I forgot to mention in my previous post: there was a Gigabyte local bus, but it was on a 486 board, not a 386. I wanna say the connectors were a bit closer together, too. That's probably the one you're thinking of.

I think that might actually be the one of the Gigabyte cards that njroadfan was talking about... The 'GA' in the model number would seem to indicate such, at least.

I think there was a proprietary version of EISA as well.

Those cards would be cool to have if you had the motherboards they went to.

Looks like the second link I posted might have been a card compatible with "V Com" local bus systems based on the image from an old pc magazine: http://books.google.com/books?id=WF...ce=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false (page 75). I also gather it might have been usable in other systems as the "GA" model number on the card implies it's for a Gigabyte board. More than likely, V com was using gigabyte boards.

Back