• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Attachments attachments attachments!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATSystems

Experienced Member
Howdy forum gods.

As I just discovered over here it seems one cannot post a PDF larger than 48KB to a thread.

wut.JPG

This is kind of a bummer, I deliberately did a full second page of generic Apple disk labels so anyone who stumbled across the thread could snatch them up and print them out if they wanted. I may end up doing more of these in the future and it would be great to be able to leave them available for all who might be interested without needing to PM me.

Not that that would help of course, as it seems there is no way to attach anything to a PM short of a link anyway.

Can any of this be easily rectified?

Cheers!

So, do we actually have an administrative team here capable of addressing this? I'm now getting token errors while posting due to a known problem with vBulletin that was only patched a measly 7 years ago, and I'm wondering if I should even waste my time bring it to attention in a thread. I would understand if this was a Tibetan basket waving forum, but it is a site filled to the brim with computer nerds, it is almost offensive that there has been no obvious administrative response to any of the problems that have been highlighted to date.

The file size limits have been around forever. Remember, each file takes up space on a server somewhere. VCFED.org has already had problems with underperforming server systems. Besides, this is not a file hosting site. Attachments are mainly used for small photos. (Note, the maximum JPG/GIF/PNG size is 99k and is automatically resized or recompressed if the filesize is larger)

For larger files most here just use third party hosting sites or personal web sites. Personally I like tinyupload as it works well on older browsers.

So, do we actually have an administrative team here capable of addressing this?

Thanks for your support. It is much appreciated.

It just is a bit on the rude side to start throwing rocks at the people who've been maintaining everything for 15 years after you've been here for just a month.

The file size limits have been around forever.

I have noticed the image scaling, there is a slight irony here that this resulted in 7 photos being uploaded into a thread instead of one because we couldn't make out the details in the originally posted image, but I do take your points. Personally I would have no qualms chipping in [%coin] per month to support the site, and I'm certain I'm not the only one. You don't run ads and this is a crazy useful resource to the community, as I have said in more than one post. Some of the knowledge I see bubble up her floors me. Having said that, this might be something worth adding to the top of the introductions forum, perhaps with some recommendations on hosts? I mean this thread was dead with one ambiguous reply for a week before I came back to it. If you (or someone) had posted this a week ago the thread would be on it's way to heat death and there would be no ruffled feathers on my side of the terminal or anyone else's.

Thanks for your support. It is much appreciated..

I mean, I assume you're part of the admin team, most forums use tags like "moderator" or "admin" to designate said users. When I first saw you posting with "member of the typing pool" I assumed you were some sort of documentation guru, and I believe I even made a quip to that effect. Needless to say the only replies to any of my threads was responded to by "members" or "senior members" who can take educated guesses but are not in a position to pop the bonnet and see whats configured. I was on DEFCON 2 trying to work out if I had malware hijacking the browser on my machine or if it was just a feature I had not noticed before. So I go to the section where I'd expect admins to be monitoring to get answers around site functionality, and I got zip. Whats the point of a forum support section if the folks behind the curtain ignore it?

It just is a bit on the rude side to start throwing rocks at the people who've been maintaining everything for 15 years after you've been here for just a month.
Granted. When I onboard a new employee one of the most important (to me at least) parts of my spiel is to make the point that they are a fresh pair of eyes, and if they see something they think is wrong/broken/needs updating, they damn well better let me know. I might have gotten blind to something because of 10 other things going on or simply not had it pointed out before. There might be a reason, it may be a genuine issue, but I need to be told, just in case.

With no noobie's guide to VCFED in the introductions section short of "how to use PM's" and "how to deal with mods" (which helpfully states "2. Shoot a PM to any of the Mods or Admins" but does not tell me HOW to find mods or admins), I come to the section where I would expect the sites managing staff to be lurking. And even that failed. Two threads, zero moderator response till I started "throwing rocks".

I'm sorry if I seem abrupt or rude but it's just an odd experience. I want to and have been contributing where I can and I want to support the site as much as I can. I have been using knowledge from this place for years before I signed up, which is why I'm here trying to give a little back. I get that a lot of people here manage outside organisations, museums and groups that may eat a lot of time. That doesn't make the radio silence any less frustrating or uncharacteristic when compared to all other forums I have been a part of.

/fresh set of eyes

We're volunteers with day jobs. If something serious breaks it will get addressed in real-time. Otherwise, things get queued.

As for who are the mods - every forum area gives you the list of moderators. Here is a sample link: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?22-PCs-and-Clones . Scroll to the bottom and look for "Forum information and options."

You should probably look into getting a night job so you can apply yourself better to forum issues. Some people make every excuse in the world.

You know what, I'll get right on this. But before I do, can you commit to paying for your membership here? I suspect something like $1k per month would be enough to cover my change in income by making this change. Also, can you step in and help out with my SO and kids? I mean, as I will be working nights I probably won't see them very often and they'll need someone to step up and take the up the slack.

Seriously though, this statement from you is rather ass-holeish. We completely understand the frustration, and the mods work through what they can when they can. We're not perfect but we do try and comments like this make me want to just quit and move onto something else...

So, where do we find those disk labels anyway? That's all in this thread that i'm interested in. :)

I actually had thrown together some apple and trs-80 generic disk labels myself (using standard avery letter labels), but would be interested to see what others had done.

You know what, I'll get right on this. But before I do, can you commit to paying for your membership here? I suspect something like $1k per month would be enough to cover my change in income by making this change. Also, can you step in and help out with my SO and kids? I mean, as I will be working nights I probably won't see them very often and they'll need someone to step up and take the up the slack.

Seriously though, this statement from you is rather ass-holeish. We completely understand the frustration, and the mods work through what they can when they can. We're not perfect but we do try and comments like this make me want to just quit and move onto something else...

I felt the same way and I banned him within about 2 minutes of reading that post. A few hours later I unbanned him because it might have been a really bad attempt at sarcasm. Even though he has been told in the past that we don't read minds, so expecting us to infer his meaning is not reasonable.

The short story is that we're volunteers; things run well enough as is. Throwing rocks, whether it is sarcasm or not doesn't give us any incentive to do anything more. And honestly, throwing rocks because you don't get an immediate response to a non-problem is also kind of an asshole move.

Please anonymous people enjoying a web forum for free - don't piss off the volunteers who run it. We really could be doing many other things.

In a previous thread I offered to make a monthly contribution in exchange for having slightly less grumpy moderators here, and my offer was sternly rejected.

But it's getting a bit old when every concern or request is curtly answered with "we're unpaid volunteers". I think we have enough people here who would be willing to chip in to change that. Maybe not enough to pay for making this place a full-time job, but at least enough to give the mods and admins some incentive to do a little more than just the bare minimum to keep the site functional.

In a previous thread I offered to make a monthly contribution in exchange for having slightly less grumpy moderators here, and my offer was sternly rejected.

But it's getting a bit old when every concern or request is curtly answered with "we're unpaid volunteers". I think we have enough people here who would be willing to chip in to change that. Maybe not enough to pay for making this place a full-time job, but at least enough to give the mods and admins some incentive to do a little more than just the bare minimum to keep the site functional.

I think we've been through this already, but thanks for bringing it up - again. Mods will remain grumpy as long as people keep throwing rocks, calling us grumpy, and generally treating us like a bunch of monkeys. Especially since a lot happens behind the scenes that you don't see.

We don't need more part time jobs. We (the individuals) also generally don't need money; we're already doing this because we believe in it. So throwing token amounts at us and then expecting us to perform to please you isn't realistic.

We already have a way for people to chip in - donate to VCFed.org to recognize the value you already are getting from this forum.

Have real suggestions for improvements? Please email a member of the board. (http://vcfed.org/wp/about/governance/). No more discussions here please; it just never ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back