• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Australian Computer Museum Society (ACMS)

macassist

Hi folx,

I'm helping the ACMS with it's micro collection, specifically it's Apple gear, but, in the way of these things, other early micros have come under my umbrella as most other people there are involved in "big iron".

If anyone has micro stuff they would consider donating to the ACMS, let me know - they have some pretty stringent requirements at the moment due to space restrictions, but are interested in "significant" items of computing history, and items of particular relevance to the Australian computer scene.

I'm also keen to hear from people in Sydney who are maybe interested in helping out with micro stuff at the museum (getting systems up and running, information, software, etc).

Although there isn't a museum at the moment, there are certainly opportunities to do some good in the interim.

Sean

Gudday Meights :razz:,

Several months ago I made a post about the ACMS:

ziloo said:
I have got a link for "Australian Computer Museum Society". They have started a very comprehensive program for collecting computer manuals. If you have not checked this out already, here is their site:

http://www.aceware.iinet.net.au/acms/default.htm

I sent them an e-mail and asked them for a specific manual for downloading. After six months I received an e-mail from them asking whether I were still interested in having that document scanned and placed on the download page. I expressed my interest again, and I am still waiting to see the manual ready :sleepy:! They admit they are very slow. Maybe you can kindly talk to people over there and ask them to consider VC Forum folks as "special friends" for a speedier response :roll:.

Thank you very much

ACMS loan?

ACMS loan?

Hello

I have two significant pieces of vintage computer hardware that are basically just sitting in a cupboard. I do not want to sell them, nor do I wish to dispose of them. But I feel they would be better put to use, so to speak, if others could see and play with them.

One is a Data Numerics DL-8A -- This is a front-panel toggle machine that looks a bit like an early Altair. 8 data toggle switches, 16 address toggles, and a bunch of other conrol switches (interrupt, deposit and examine, etc). This unit works perfectly, and is about the size of an Altair. It's wire-wrapped internally, and has a very low serial number (about 17 or so).

The other unit was made by Ron Koenig in the late '70s. This is a machine that is totally hand-built by Ron (he apparently did lots of electronic designs for computers for the Aussie electronics/computing magazines). This machine runs a Signetics 2650 processor, and an 8080 emulator so that it could run CP/M software (!!!). Ron told me it was "a bit slow".

As I said, I'm not interested in selling these machines. I am interested in a long-term loan in the interests of their care and study. My question is; is the ACMS interested in either or both of the above, under a loan arrangement? I'm based in Hobart.

Cheers
A

Back