• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

"Back" loop

KC9UDX

Space Commander
For the last week or so, I've been getting redirected to the "current" page when using the Back button on my browser. I've done a lot of testing and it's only happening on this site.

Is anyone else finding this?

I have not noticed this, so I tried it a dozen or so times with no problem. I use older stuff maybe that is the case. Most of my 'modern' computers are 32 bit using FireFox 52.9 Mike

Yet after I made this post, I'm redirected to the current page is that what you are seeing?

No problem like this for me.

I'm on a MacBook Pro with the latest OS, 10.14.2, and the latest version of Safari.

smp

I think I've nailed it down to an unauthorised update. I've apparently gotten a slew of them lately. I don't know why Google thinks it needs to do that.

I think I've nailed it down to an unauthorised update. I've apparently gotten a slew of them lately. I don't know why Google thinks it needs to do that.

Didn't you know that corporations know what's best for you and you have no say in what goes on your machine. Been this way for at least the past decade, forced updates are a way to *attempt* to reduce their liability for virus/malware infections, and install ever increasing amount of spyware so they know everything about you.

We can see how great this turned out in the dumpster fire known as Windows 10.

Hopefully I never have to use Windows 10. I haven't seen it in any industrial equipment, which isn't real surprising. It's actually surprising to see Windows 7 occasionally. NT, 95 and XP are still popular with good reason.

Whatever Google did, they sure did a number on this "phone" which previously did an excellent job on the web. Back loops here and flat out crashing on another vbuillten site.

Hopefully I never have to use Windows 10.

I don't understand the knock on W10. I've never, ever had any sort of a problem with the W10 OS per se. All of my apps, especially the games, run as they are supposed to. It treats my home network and media server as if they are partners. Of course there are a few dislikes, like Edge and that wacky home page for example, but the average user can work around it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a M$ slappy, but it was free for the taking and I don't see a better alternative out there. And please don't mention Linux in the same breath.

Win10 has gotten better with each release but to me it just seems “a bit of a mess”.

MacOS is visually a lot more appealing and consistent but has its own quirks and application compatibility issues.

I don't understand the knock on W10. I've never, ever had any sort of a problem with the W10 OS per se. All of my apps, especially the games, run as they are supposed to. It treats my home network and media server as if they are partners. Of course there are a few dislikes, like Edge and that wacky home page for example, but the average user can work around it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a M$ slappy, but it was free for the taking and I don't see a better alternative out there. And please don't mention Linux in the same breath.

I don't particulary like Linux. But I'm hoping we get to a point where there are more OS choices. Unfortunately, I expect Linux to become more like Windows in all the wrong ways.

My problem with Windows 10 is that everything I hear is that it won't run unless it's able to forcibly update itself. I have no use for something that changes for the sake of change whether I like it or not.

For industrial automation, an internet connection is barely tolerable. A computer that doesn't do exactly the same thing from one day to the next is a huge problem. One that has downtime for updates is intolerable.

My problem with Windows 10 is that everything I hear is that it won't run unless it's able to forcibly update itself.

Those updates are for the most part in the background and inconsequential. It's not like your were driving a PowerGlide '53 Chevy yesterday and today you suddenly have 4 on floor. And it seems like you're taking someone else's word for what going on in W10 when you could at least download it try and it out for yourself. You might change your mind.

I don't have anything that will run it. I don't play games, and don't even know what all this stuff is that people do that requires Windows X. I have computers that do things I need to do, and they do them day in and day out. I don't need to upgrade to upgrade. I have two pieces of software that require WindowsXP or I wouldn't have any Windows here. I don't use it for most of what I do with computers.

If the updates are inconsequential, why do them?

But the analogy I see with these forced updates is going from a PowerGlide '53 Chevy yesterday to having Chevy hijack it and install ESC on it, which accidentally breaks my custom suspension.

This thread is here because of a case like this. I have a "phone" which was intentionally crippled by the manufacturer to make the much more expensive model worth buying. I found ways to make it work, and it worked very, very well. Google decided that for my safety that I needed an update which I specifically said I didn't want. Now it has issues that can only be resolved by either getting an older phone and hoping that it is just updated to the point this one was a couple weeks ago, or, buying a newer phone and hoping I don't have to go through all this again. I'm not buying a newer phone at this point, and I'm incensed that I have something that can do what I need it to do, but someone who thinks they know better is preventing it.

My point is I don't see how you can make a judgement on a software product that you don't possess and conclude that it's not worthy based on hearsay. Most people like it and use it really like the fact that it was free.

I'm on the latest Chrome on Windows 7, Linux, and on my tablet and phones. I'm not seeing any problems like this.

The one time I did have a problem like this I deleted the cache and wiped out cookies. I'd probably also kill off Chrome completely (ensure no background tasks are laying around) and try again. It seems like voodoo, but I really didn't have the time to find the offending javascript that was probably the root cause.

And lastly, if you are on desktop Chrome then beware of bad extensions. There are rogue ones out there. Try disabling extensions if anything fishy is going on and report any that seem to be related to spam, bad advertisements, etc.

(I've debugged web sites serving ads from bad sources that resulted in unwanted page loads. This was a reputable site like the NYT - sometimes the ad networks don't catch the bad advertising suppliers quickly enough.)

My point is I don't see how you can make a judgement on a software product that you don't possess and conclude that it's not worthy based on hearsay. Most people like it and use it really like the fact that it was free.

So the only legitimate way to know if I want it is to have it?

I don't have this issue with Chrome. The issue I have with Chrome is that it's a resource hog. In fact, if it weren't for a serious amount of "hacking", Chrome wouldn't run at all. NakedBrowser works much, much better. Except that it relies on a feature of Android (WebView) which apparently was updated (against my choosing) to not work correctly on this one "phone".

Well, one of the differences here is you're all about phones and the majority of the folks are dealing with PC's of some sort. Your argument is 'apples & oranges' to me.

Windows 10 - I've been noticing very odd bewildering, and annoying behavior. I take a lot of photographs. To offload them I usually just drag and drop the folders within DCIM that my camera produces, then go through them, sorting etc. at a later time. Recently I've noticed that if there's already a folder, even perhaps within another folder, such as "Nikon100", files from the cameras Nikon100 will get placed within the desktop's Nikon100. I haven't done any " testing" whatsoever, I'll be careful to note the details in the future. It's the screwiest thing I've ever seen. I can possibly make allowances for a barrage of updates needed to curtail malware. But when software is obviously tailored to screw with my files - doing things I've never asked or expected it to, that's diabolical.

As I've said before, I don't use my laptop on the internet. I just don't want to, and it has nothing to do with spyware and related issues. Never received an update either. I'm getting quite tired of fandroid based devices though, I'm getting to the point I may buy something cheap to use on the net. Please don't suggest a chromebook. And when I do it'll be Windows 7 - 8.1. In remember being reasonably happy with 8.1, as happy as you can be with something Windows based. Ultimately I'd run something UNIX based. And tell all the rest where to go.

[..]Unfortunately, I expect Linux to become more like Windows in all the wrong ways.
Yes. That seems to be the case. Particularly for user interfaces. Of course we don't all agree on what the wrong ways are, but one that I personally dislike is when UIs lose the since-early-X11-or-before and always-been-there feature of simply mark an area with a left mouse click, then paste with a middle click. Now more and more UIs disable that (how, I don't know, as it's part of X11 IIRC), and only gives ctrl-C ctrl-V, or going into a menu and select copy or paste. Very clumsy and much slower than the established method. ctrl-C ctrl-V isn't even particularly intuitive - the other day it turned out that my wife didn't know about it, even though she's only ever used Windows.
I don't want the Windows UI style forced into my IMO much easier *nix/X11 style.

Another "Windows" thingy I've seen recently is when file chooser menues in applications don't show the real paths anymore.. they're instead grouped into categories, making it difficult to navigate. Don't like that either.

Back