• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Bad disk image?

Don't forget to remove the profile.sub file. Otherwise it will try to redirect output to the R232 card (we don't have) and there is no A prompt as a result.
er, sorry. That was one of my dev disks. I used a VC4404 terminal, and always boot using it.

er, sorry. That was one of my dev disks. I used a VC4404 terminal, and always boot using it.

I can understand why... the internal default 40 column text mode is, ummm, let's say tedious (at least with cp/m). :)

I'm curious, the technical specifications document indicates that the XIOS has an 80 column screen driver (that emulates an ADM-3A terminal no less). Do you know if that was actually implemented at some point?

I don't know how feasible a V9938 upgrade for a Nabu would be... you'd really need that for 80-column text.

You could prolly get 64x24 text with APA mode, but then you've got 4 pixels per character (Flex Type did this to get 70x24 on an Apple ][+).

I don't know how feasible a V9938 upgrade for a Nabu would be... you'd really need that for 80-column text.

You could prolly get 64x24 text with APA mode, but then you've got 4 pixels per character (Flex Type did this to get 70x24 on an Apple ][+).

In re-reading the documentation, the 80-coumn mode is actually a virtual 80x24 screen, with a 36x24 window into it. It appears that is what is used for cp/m currently. Oh well...

I can understand why... the internal default 40 column text mode is, ummm, let's say tedious (at least with cp/m). :)

I'm curious, the technical specifications document indicates that the XIOS has an 80 column screen driver (that emulates an ADM-3A terminal no less). Do you know if that was actually implemented at some point?
I think it does support ADM-3A

You need the serial card for that though, right @LeoBinkowski? I do have a Volker Craig terminal but it's a VC404. It should probably work but without the card, it definitely won't.
Yes, I'll do a more detailed set of photos and discussion as to how it works. I'm sure it could be reversed engineered easily.

I do remember that the various RS devices are tied to slots. Ie, RS1XFER will only work if there is a serial port in RS1 and not a console already.l

Ok, the later version of the RS232 card. Just for giggles, both of them were installed in the same machine, the one I call NABU 3. So they CAN work together. CP/M sees them as devices by slot. ie, if you attached the RS232 card to slot 1 CP/M called it RS1. in slot 3 it was RS3. I tried to make these images as 'square' as possible, but the phone camera appears to be distorting it somewhat.

20221222_175539.jpg20221222_174303.jpg

Ok, the later version of the RS232 card. Just for giggles, both of them were installed in the same machine, the one I call NABU 3. So they CAN work together. CP/M sees them as devices by slot. ie, if you attached the RS232 card to slot 1 CP/M called it RS1. in slot 3 it was RS3. I tried to make these images as 'square' as possible, but the phone camera appears to be distorting it somewhat.

View attachment 1250455View attachment 1250456
This is cool.
I've started using this to begin emulation of one of these cards to NABU MAME. This has been helpfu in learning how the emulated chips are connected together.

@LeoBinkowski What is chip U9, next to the 8251? I'm trying to trace what generates the /CTS signal to the 8251, I can see it going to U9, but cab't actually read the chip label on any of the images.
U9 looks like it's the 1489 quad line EIA-232 receiver chip. Looks like it's just below the 1488 driver chip... they're often next to each other in many rs232 layouts.

Last edited:
Back