• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Banner blocking views on mobile phones

mdog69

Experienced Member
The new banner blocks half the screen when reading, and when I post I can't see what I am typing. Luckily this is my 9th post. I don't want to post another r"random rubbish" post just to eliminate this silly restriction.
If there any typos on this post, it's because my screen is occupied by a an uncancellable message which tells new members to go away

100% agree, I don't need to to be constantly reminder that I haven't posted 10 times.(n)(n)

We hear you. However, the banner is there because we get asked A LOT why new users can’t send DMs. Do you have a better suggestion as to how to remind new users of that?

I’m not sure why the banner blocks half of your screen; it doesn’t do that on my phone. Maybe font size?

Thanks!
- Alex

Last edited:
Most of the banners can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner?

Banner has gone following a page reload. It didn't have any icon to close it. (Pixel 4a phone using Chrome). Nothing to do with font size - using default settings.

Update: my back button allowed me to capture the attached image;

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220406-065338.png
    Screenshot_20220406-065338.png
    305.7 KB · Views: 15
Banner has gone following a page reload. It didn't have any icon to close it. (Pixel 4a phone using Chrome). Nothing to do with font size - using default settings.

Update: my back button allowed me to capture the attached image;

Yes, tweaked the settings so it won't show up below a certain vertical resolution.

Why not make it so users can dismiss it like other popups, at least for the day so that it isn't constantly covering an entire area of the screen.

Why not make it so users can dismiss it like other popups, at least for the day so that it isn't constantly covering an entire area of the screen.
Partially because I want it to be indicator of when someone "graduates" from a moderated user (or is put back into moderation status due to rule breaking) and partially because I am not sure we can set it to be dismissed daily like that (though it's a good compromise, so I'll need to look into that in more detail).

It's easy to get 10 posts, just write an intro (and reply to people who welcome you there) and reply to some relevant threads.

Ok, I have not removed the banner, but I have shortened the message now, show it should block less real-estate on narrower screens, and won't show up at all on screens that are less than 480 pixels wide.

Here it is on 481px by 839px, and the wider you go, the less intrusive it gets.

1649296205891.png

Under 480px, the banner is gone completely.

The lastest change is an improvement. Hopefully the message won't bother me for much longer anyway.

Back