• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Banner printing software recommendations?

zombienerd

Veteran Member
I own a vape shop, and just moved to a much larger space where we can finally hold "cloud competitions". This is where people try to blow the longest vapor clouds, with tournament style brackets, with prizes for 1st through 3rd place. Generally, vape shops will buy vinyl banners with inch measurements, up to 15 feet long, with feet notations, and this generally costs anywhere from $100 to $500 depending on options.

I've decided to go retro with mine, and want to use an old dot matrix and continuous fold paper to print my own. Nearly all my regulars know I'm an old computer geek, and it plays well with my style.

I just ordered a Panasonic KXP-1080i 9 pin, a pack of new ribbons, and 1000 sheets of continuous fold paper.

I was wondering what software I should use that could print a banner with "accurate" (close enough) 1 inch measurements up to around 12 feet long. I remember playing with Print Shop Pro when I was a kid, but don't remember if it could do something like that on its banners.

I have DOS, as well as Windows 3.1 up to 10 available, plus Linux machines.

I own a vape shop, and just moved to a much larger space where we can finally hold "cloud competitions". This is where people try to blow the longest vapor clouds, with tournament style brackets, with prizes for 1st through 3rd place. Generally, vape shops will buy vinyl banners with inch measurements, up to 15 feet long, with feet notations, and this generally costs anywhere from $100 to $500 depending on options.

I've decided to go retro with mine, and want to use an old dot matrix and continuous fold paper to print my own. Nearly all my regulars know I'm an old computer geek, and it plays well with my style.

I just ordered a Panasonic KXP-1080i 9 pin, a pack of new ribbons, and 1000 sheets of continuous fold paper.

I was wondering what software I should use that could print a banner with "accurate" (close enough) 1 inch measurements up to around 12 feet long. I remember playing with Print Shop Pro when I was a kid, but don't remember if it could do something like that on its banners.

I have DOS, as well as Windows 3.1 up to 10 available, plus Linux machines.

I have a DOS program called 'BannerMania' that's on a 3.5 diskette and does fan-fold/tractor feed. Only problem for now is that I'm on the road and won't be home for about 3 weeks. Be glad to supply you with it when I get back.

I have a DOS program called 'BannerMania' that's on a 3.5 diskette and does fan-fold/tractor feed. Only problem for now is that I'm on the road and won't be home for about 3 weeks. Be glad to supply you with it when I get back.

I just checked that one out. Great for text, and might be able to make something work there, if I pick the right font and scaling. We don't have to use standard measurements, so I could just print a 12 foot banner with numbers 1-12 on it lol.

GeoWorks also has a nice banner program and gives great output from dot matrix printers.

I think the earlier Printshop Pro has a banner creation utility as well.

Last edited:
The Print Shop could definitely be used to print banners. I used a copy of Print Shop on my Macintosh SE, along with an Apple Imagewriter II printer and a bunch of fanfold paper, to print out a number of banners for events. Here's a photo of one of my science fair projects from high school, with one of said banners taped to the wall behind the project board:
DSC00012.jpg

Back