• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

BASIC via telnet

billdeg

Technician
Is there a place where you can program in BASIC via telnet. I am thinking one would connect to a server via telnet and then load a BASIC emulator. For my son to use from the PC in his room without having to hook up a vintage computer. Simple ANSI BASIC with text, no graphics or simple graphics.

OR - Is there a client one can download to run core BASIC from an emulator and ideally save your work locally?

Thanks.

Well lots of things you can do. I am pretty sure that BASICA will run under DOSBOX on Windows, for certain GWBASIC does, but I don't think it can be done in a Telnet session.

Many of the classic emulators will do what you want, but the learning curve is steep.

I think the simplest solution would be one of the free Basics

http://www.thefreecountry.com/compilers/basic.shtml

running on a Linux virtual machine....

Not sure that you'd need more than dosbox to do this? From a wikipedia article (was trying to remember if MS ever made QuickBasic free to download) it linked to PCE as something that emulated an IBM with basic although it looks like another full computer emulator, not just a dos emulator. To add to the other posts, I thought that dosbox did have VNC built into it for remote viewing. That may also be an option or some other free VM like environment.

Is he running 64-bit Windows or 32-bit? 32-bit you'd be able to run qb45 fine. Not what you're wanting (also recommended earlier) Small Basic from Microsoft is more object oriented but does have Turtle built in to it.

DOSBox should work great for this kind of use. I use GWBASIC inside of DOSBox on a semi-regular basis.

Just saw the above reference. Looks like a possible candidate also, emulates a floppy drive you can specify so he could save his work. I'm not sure if jdosbox has the same ability although I'm not sure it has much advantage over a regular dosbox or virtualbox or any other free virtual machine environment.

I'm not finding the post but another member here also recently tested out writing a telnet based remote control thing for their 5150. I remember they were working on some commands to allow reboot, etc. Not sure if someone here recalls who it was or if they want to speak up.

...I'm not finding the post but another member here also recently tested out writing a telnet based remote control thing for their 5150. I remember they were working on some commands to allow reboot, etc. Not sure if someone here recalls who it was or if they want to speak up.
This one?
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?14187-Remote-control-of-DOS-Box&highlight=

Two are actually mentioned, but it kinda sounds like they both need to run the server in 'real' DOS.

The version of Basic that I really like is FreeBASIC. Once it is setup on your machine you can open a 'command console' that opens as a regular DOS window, from there you can compile and run your basic program (created with a text editor). FreeBASIC also has a full set of features that allow creating a program that will appear on the screen in a graphics mode on a modern Wintel machine. There is also a user forum with some good examples if you get stuck on your programming project. Here is a link: http://www.freebasic.net I am using the language right now to write a serial port data logger for an A/D chip.

Michael

Mike, not that one. I did find it though. reenigne wrote something to control a PC remotely which is what I was remembering. Not sure if it's available (didn't re-read the entire thread) but this is also geared towards a real PC being somewhere not just a basic environment.

The other one I also remember and is also probably not of the correct interest (remote control of hardware, not emulated basic or basic via telnet) was Mike Chambers writing a dos VNC client. (well maybe not dos but written in QB).

The other reason I mention QB (qbasic specifically) was since it was included in their operating systems for so long. I do recall Microsoft having a download to QB4.5 or 7.0 or some higher number/last release I thought. (I could be remembering the olddos.exe download).

Mike, not that one. I did find it though. reenigne wrote something to control a PC remotely which is what I was remembering. Not sure if it's available (didn't re-read the entire thread) but this is also geared towards a real PC being somewhere not just a basic environment.
Yeah, I thought of that one too, but it sounds closer to the metal (running with no OS at all), so it didn't seem very likely that it'd run in a VM.

Back