• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Before OS/2 Was OS/2

Most users, no. CP/M was customized by the manufacturer. I think at least some outsourced that work so there may have been as few as a dozen programmers modifying BIOS code.

I am talking about specifically S-100 systems however.

Depends where the S100 system came from. If you got a whole-package-ready-to-go, say from Bill Morrow, no--you wouldn't have a clue. Likely the same for later CompuPro gear. I'm trying to think of other major 80286 players at the time in S100. There weren't many.

But didn't the OS/2 1.0 come out in 1987? What's shown on the screen is 1986, so not much before the official release--and certainly after the 5170.

Depends where the S100 system came from. If you got a whole-package-ready-to-go, say from Bill Morrow, no--you wouldn't have a clue. Likely the same for later CompuPro gear. I'm trying to think of other major 80286 players at the time in S100. There weren't many.

But didn't the OS/2 1.0 come out in 1987? What's shown on the screen is 1986, so not much before the official release--and certainly after the 5170.

Even when it came out in 1987, they still did things like putting floppy and hard drive drivers in the same file. And yes part of my point is that unlike with MS-DOS, changing OS/2 to work with hardware that was not IBM PC/AT compatible would probably require changing the OS/2 kernel itself. Actually, even MS-DOS had an "IBMVER" and a "MSVER".

Last edited:
Well, even in the old MS-DOS days, you had the IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS (IBMBIO/IBMDOS). OEMs wrote their own IO.SYS and then linked it into MSDOS.SYS. So maybe not so different, I don't know.

Well, even in the old MS-DOS days, you had the IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS (IBMBIO/IBMDOS). OEMs wrote their own IO.SYS and then linked it into MSDOS.SYS. So maybe not so different, I don't know.

And my point is that "CP-DOS" tried to copy this model, which they mention in this article. Thinking about it, it probably boils down to people who worked on multitasking DOS 4.0 being asked to design a 286 protected mode OS that was to be finished in a year.

That's what I suspected also. It sounds familiar.

Come to think of it, wasn't there an IBM 286 model (not the JX) proposed for Far East consumption? Maybe not--I suffer from severe wetware bit-rot lately... :)

Back