• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Best Macintosh Plus O/S

Yzzerdd

Veteran Member
Well, been having all sorts of fun in the Apple/Mac world, but not growing up in the era(OK, I grew up through a good part of the classic Macs, but at 2 years old in 94, I didn't really care), I don't have all the knowledge I would if I had. Anyhow, I now have a pristine Macintosh Plus with 4MB of RAM. Fantastic computer, and today, I got an external hard drive for it. Boots up quickly to 6.0.5.

I want to load system 7.0.1 on it, but I'm not sure how it'll perform. I understand it originally would've probably come with 5.something, but will support up to 7.something. How well will 7.0.1 perform? All I have are HD disks for 7.0.1, but I figure on hooking up the HD to another Mac and loading the O/S on that way. So I shouldn't have any issues, really, except with speed. I'll likely have a RAM cache of 128K.

Thanks,

--Ryan

OS 6.0x would be best for speed on a 68000. OS 7.01 will run ok on 4MB RAM. You have to look at what software (versions) you want to run to decide if OS 6 or 7 is best.

Well, if the O/S on it worked good, I'd leave it on. But I can't figure out extensions. It seems I'm supposed to load a program, say, After Dark(a screen saver) directly into the system folder, seems there is no extensions folder. Anyhow, it shows up in the control panel, but I can't do anything with it. I get an error, saying I need to restart for it to work. It's not being loaded as an extension at start up. Furthermore, NOTHING in the system folder works. Even if I try to load After Dark from the HDD(or floppy disk for that matter!), I get an error saying that the program is either busy or not found. I have a copy of some system 6.0.8 disks, but they aren't bootable, it should seem.

--Ryan

Reload the OS from the install disks (clean install), swapping HDs around from other systems can cause problems (system enablers. 040 code etc).

Apple has disk images (you will need another working mac with floppy drive to make them) of OS 7.01 and 6.08 on their website for free.
One disk is a bootable HD formatter, there is a bootable Installer disk and the rest are used as needed during install.

I run system 7.5 with little issues other than space, but i have a 40mb drive and 4mb of ram, when it only had 1meg of ram i ran 6.0.8.

If you go to apple's site, you can find a set of disk images you can use. I keep a powermac 7600 around to make the 720k disks and it seems to work ok since that one has an ethernet port and can get on the web still fairy decent (some sites)

My Plus has 4MB of RAM. I ended up hooking up my 80MB external drive to my SE and installed 7.0.1. I was able to tell it to install the software for a Macintosh Plus, and it works beautifully. Just have to get ahold of 800K disks now.

--Ryan

I'm looking for an AT&T PC6300 in superb condition if you know of anyone who is selling :)

My Plus has 4MB of RAM. I ended up hooking up my 80MB external drive to my SE and installed 7.0.1. I was able to tell it to install the software for a Macintosh Plus, and it works beautifully. Just have to get ahold of 800K disks now.

I prefer System 7.0.1 for older Macintosh hardware with at least 4 MB RAM as well. One thing to do is extract the PC Exchange control panel from a System 7.5.5 install. It works fine with System 7.0.1 -- I use it with my Classic II.

Are 800K floppies really that hard to find? I've got a box of at least 700 used ones in the garage, if anyone needs a few.

i always just took 1.4m floppies and formatted them in the Plus with the tab covered and they read/write just fine in my IIsi just fine so i can transfer stuff from 1.44mb disks just fine

Back