• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Best way to remove a badge (PET 4032)

irataxy

I got my PET up and running with help from others. Now it's time to clean it. I've watched some youtube videos about cleaning (Magic Eraser, baking soda on tough spots but don't remove the paint). The badge is pretty worn around the edges. Should I try to remove it and get a new one? What is the best way to remove it? Any recommendations on new ones? (I see https://corei64.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=301 looks pretty good).

Thanks!

Attachments

• pet.jpeg
    pet.jpeg
    192.1 KB · Views: 15
Careful use of a heat gun should soften up the adhesive and gently peal it off. Remove the remaining adhesive with mineral turps, IPA ,CRC5.56 or similar .

Careful use of a heat gun should soften up the adhesive and gently peal it off. Remove the remaining adhesive with mineral turps, IPA ,CRC5.56 or similar .
Interestingly everybody in NZ & and AU knows what mineral turps is.

It is also an excellent solvent to remove Pitch (Tar) from vintage potted transformers.

In the USA, on the vintage radio sites, nobody knew that mineral turps was the solvent for pitch and they had been ruining many vintage transformers by heating them in an attempt to to get the pitch off, when the better method is to put the transformer in a bath of mineral turps and wait a few days to a week and there is no damage.

But the interesting thing is, and why I am mentioning it, is that in the USA, "mineral turps" is called paint thinners and that really created some confusion when I brought up the topic of mineral turps.

Mineral turps can melt the surface of many plastics and fresh enamel paint, but aged and very dry paint is fairly resistant to it.

Yeah Hugo I stick with the old favorates. I've tried products that were ment to be better theres no real replacements for turps, Kero and methellated spirits ;)

Last edited:
Follow up question. The glass CRT screen has some sort of spotted gunk on it. I've heard to use Windex and also never use Windex. The gunk is pretty stubborn. I tried removing it with a plastic edge but no effect. Any idea?

Windex is fine on CRT glass.

One thing about Windex is that it is supposed to contain a small amount of copper sulphate, though this has been questioned. The purpose of this in a glass cleaner is to act as an anti-fungal to prevent fungi proliferating on surface films on the glass, including eating away anti glare coatings. Windex is also fine on optical lenses which have a surface anti glare coatings and is used in the Camera repair industry on camera lenses. It has no potential to harm a CRT. WD-40 can work as a general cleaner, good to clean off sticker glue residue, but, after you use it for that , use the Windex to remove it.

The iCore one is really the only source I know, at least in the Americas. I think there may be a European seller, but that would cost more.

And honestly, the iCore team's products are top notch. I purchased their PET chicklet key stickers for a TexElec build I did, and they are amazing and high quality. They are worth the cost you will spend.

Yea the international shipping, even from Canada to the US, can be crazy, but their products are worth it, in my opinion.

Back