• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Better late than never. Hello...

hard_fault

Hello, to anyone interested...

Have apparently had this account for over a decade. Didn't realize I even made a post back in 2010. I believe that was my first attempt at getting into vintage computing. It still took quite a few years for the interest to actually gain any real momentum, but eventually I managed to get it together.

Here now to try and do a better job socializing and getting involved in the vintage computer community.

---

My first PC was that old XT clone I posted about so long ago. If I remember correctly, I got it going using the tape over the floppy disk hole to trick the drive into thinking it was a DD disk. Not reliable, but I was so excited about getting that thing going at all.

Then, no vintage computer activity for several years.

In 2016, A coworker of mine gave me an old Macintosh SE to play with, try to fix. Good memories of using these classic Macs back in the early 90's, because our school system still had them. It had the floppy disk eject mechanism problem, which was fixed with a 3D printed gear I was able to order. Did a thorough cleaning, a retrobrite, SD card upgrade, the whole 9 yards. There has been a vintage computer avalanche since then:

Packard Bell PB286 w/ 2MB RAM card, Soundblaster 1.5 with the CMS chips installed
486DX4/120 Tower, 16 MB RAM
Pentium Pro 180MHz, 64 MB RAM, Voodoo II
Tandy 1000 SL, CM-5 Monitor, 1.44 MB floppy drive (feel free to ask me how)
Tandy 1000 TL, CM-11 Monitor
Tandy 4020 SX (386 SX), VGM-220 monitor
Tandy 2100 (486 SX), shares monitor with above
Apple IIe, Ultrawarp, Mockingboard, RAM expansion, SD card
Apple IIgs, Transwarp GS, 4 MB RAM expansion, SD card
2x Commodore 64, NTSC
1x Commodore 64, PAL
Atari 400

List not exhaustive. But to give you an idea, my philosophy is "populate all of the slots and the sockets."

---

On my bucket list is designing some sort of hardware on the ISA bus. Lack of creativity, lack of low-hanging fruit, seem to be the biggest barriers to entry for me at the moment. Therefore, I'm open to jumping onboard some other project if the help is wanted.
Can do the C languages, and have been able to muddle my way through x86 assembly to a decent degree. Have experience in the embedded world, so I have some understanding of how things work at the board level. Can make a Pi do my bidding. I don't consider myself some wizard or wonder boy in all these things, but there's enough there to keep me employed in it.

So that's it, there's hopefully a proper introduction. I only have time enough for participation one vintage computer forum, I chose this one.

Better late than never!

A (belated) welcome!

Don't forget to add your location to your profile (if you are able to).

You will also still be under moderation!

Dave

Hello and Welcome... kinda sorta.. Yes indeed update your avatar to say where you are and looking forward to your future posts.

Thanks Daver2 and VERAULT!

I understand the moderation, not going to be an issue for me. I don't like mixing politics and these beloved old machines.

Will get that location put in there asap, Michigan USA. But first, I'd like to get rid of this name "Auto Turret." Time to lay it to rest for good. Don't know if that is possible. Made that name around 2005-2006! Was maybe 20 years old. Now I'm pushing 40 and I definitely don't want the name anymore.

-- hard_fault, formerly known as Auto Turret

Thanks Daver2 and VERAULT!

I understand the moderation, not going to be an issue for me. I don't like mixing politics and these beloved old machines.

Will get that location put in there asap, Michigan USA. But first, I'd like to get rid of this name "Auto Turret." Time to lay it to rest for good. Don't know if that is possible. Made that name around 2005-2006! Was maybe 20 years old. Now I'm pushing 40 and I definitely don't want the name anymore.

-- hard_fault, formerly known as Auto Turret

Username has been edited. Welcome!

- Alex

Ha ha, I did the same thing. One day a couple of years ago I decided I wanted to join this forum after many of my searches took me here. I opened another browser and noticed it had my user and password already filled in. I clicked through and I was in! I had signed up years before but forgot about it.

Welcome back to the forum. I have a lot of the same or similar machines as on your list.

Seaken

Username has been edited.
Much appreciated, thanks. That'll be the only one, I promise.

Welcome back to the forum. I have a lot of the same or similar machines as on your list.
Nice!
Correction, though.. I said the Apple II's have SD cards, when in fact they are CF cards. Had SD stuck in my head from talking about the Mac SE.

Back