• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Big announcement

EvanK

VCFed Founder
There's a big announcement happening from the Vintage Computer Federation tomorrow night. :)

Stay tuned...

I'm sorry but what an overhyped crock of crap.

Not only was it not worthy of a pre-announcement but in my view it wasn't even worthy of any attention.

I hope some people are more excited by it than me! They certainly couldn't be less impressed!

it wasn't even worthy of any attention.

A non-profit solely devoted to this hobby does some fundraising by offering two rare, pristine, working, autographed computers, and in your opinion this "wasn't even worthy of any attention" at all?

What's wrong with you?

A non-profit solely devoted to this hobby does some fundraising by offering two rare, pristine, working, autographed computers, and in your opinion this "wasn't even worthy of any attention" at all?

What's wrong with you?

Hear, hear!

smp

What's wrong with you?

Perhaps they are somewhat more relevant to some collectors than others? In this case I'd argue that they are massively more relevant to US collectors than UK collectors.

In addition, the auction isn't open to people outside the US shipping wise anyway.

I did say I hoped some people were more interested in it than me.

Too bad the descriptive text for both of these eBay items is so poorly formatted that some of the text is not even viewable on either IE or Chrome. It runs off the right side of the screen and is not scrollable. Looks like some rank amateur didn't check his work. :)

Isn't it "Hear Here"?

Well, I've always gone by the definition:

Hear, hear (usually with a comma and set apart as a self-contained sentence) is the conventional spelling of the colloquial exclamation used to express approval for a speaker or sentiment. It’s essentially short for hear him, hear him or hear this, hear this, where these phrases are a sort of cheer.

Here, here is widely regarded as a misspelling, although it is a common one, and there are ways to logically justify its use. But for what it’s worth, hear, hear is the original form (the Oxford English Dictionary cites examples going back to the 17th century) and is the one listed in dictionaries. English reference books mention here, here only to note that it’s wrong."

Ref: http://grammarist.com/spelling/hear-hear/

smp

There is still a discussion going on in the Apple I thread about if the rare sought-after vintage computers are really worth the price they usually go for or not. Not all of us are made of cash, and in practice this announcement only becomes relevant for a few of the forums users. Not shipping outside the US doesn't do anything to help this either.

In other words, by hyping this as a sticky announcement here, several of us will (and do) feel excluded.

Not shipping outside the US doesn't do anything to help this either.

Hadn't noticed this. Why isn't GSP shipping enabled? If you don't want to deal with customs forms and whatnot, let eBay's reshipper deal with it. The liability is supposed to be off the seller once it reaches the reshipper terminal. IMO eBay charges too much for the service, but I still see it as better than excluding the rest of the world.

In other words, by hyping this as a sticky announcement here, several of us will (and do) feel excluded.
Keep in mind that no one has ever accused the powers that be of being overly sensitive to the wishes and needs of the forum membership in general.

More and more it appears that this forum is becoming a means to an end. This MO has been apparent to many since the quasi-hostile takeover occurred.

There is a strong financial motivation driving the non-profit entity in general. Having worked as a professional fund raiser I know all too well how they (can) operate and am therefore always questioning and skeptical about their motivations.

the quasi-hostile takeover

VCFed: "Hey Erik, wanna work together?"
Erik: "Cool."

Stone, you sure have a strange definition of "hostile".

There is a strong financial motivation driving the non-profit entity in general. Having worked as a professional fund raiser I know all too well how they (can) operate and am therefore always questioning and skeptical about their motivations.

OMG! We made a forum post to build a little excitement about a fundraiser. That one post seriously ruined your day, apparently. We must be terrible, terrible people.

OMG! We made a forum post to build a little excitement about a fundraiser. That one post seriously ruined your day, apparently. We must be terrible, terrible people.

If you're concerned, and really if you pay taxes and have reservations you *should* be, then you can file a Form 990 and get VCF's financial records. Any 501c.3's financial records are public information. You can even pay an on-site visit during normal business hours and request to review currently available information. That's why people are willing to donate to legitimate 501c.3 nonprofits, there's oversight, and if you're a concerned citizen you can step up and conduct a review yourself. There's no need for speculation or mudslinging in this case.

Evan, are VCF's records posted/going to be posted anywhere publicly? I know it's not a requirement for 501c.3 but I've also seen quite a few that do it.

If you're concerned,...
Didn't my statement 'non-profit entity in general' indicate to you that I wasn't singling out any organization in particular but rather just questioning the nature of the beast as a whole with regard to past experiences?

Back