• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Big Boxed PC Games

Vinpaq

Hi all,

I thought I should share this with you. These were the games I had or wanted to have when I was growing up. (thus defining an otherwise never ending collection)

pc games collection.jpg

And I think this my most treasured game, Mechwarrior 1

MW1.jpg

MDK, Quake, System Shock, Half Life, Duke Nukem. Proper collection! 👍

Agree, never got into Descent, was already hooked on Quake 2 and Unreal later 😁

Some original Tomb Raider would add more spice to the collection

When they came out, I played them on the PC's of my father (period 1993-2000, in 2000 I got my own pc ;) ).
Back in the day there was something called PC Private Project in the Netherlands, that was an incentive to buy PC's through the company you was working for, for free, with discount or handing in your days-off. First time we got a 3DFX-card, Quake went from pixely to smudgy... and it was amazing!

Now I use Compaq Portables and early laptops for the older games. I'm still looking for the best setup for later games like quake/unreal etc.
compaq-portable-2-on-3.JPG

I still have some of my big box games I bought new back in the day. I've made a small display in my mancave with the big boxes of Quake, Warcraft 2, Total Annihilation and Grand Prix Legends (very, very pretty German edition. Black with a red Ferrari.). Others I have somewhere are Half LIfe 1, Falcon 4, AoE series, etc. I still have the big box of our 3DFx Voodoo² 12MB, unfortunately I no longer have the card itself!

You might like to know that there is also a System Shock 2, so don't relax yet. Superb games, both.

I saw both of these games as Sci-Fi mirrors of Ultima Underworld (1 and 2) - also superb games, and the much later Bioshock series is very much the spiritual descendant of all of those games.

You might like to know that there is also a System Shock 2, so don't relax yet. Superb games, both.

I saw both of these games as Sci-Fi mirrors of Ultima Underworld (1 and 2) - also superb games, and the much later Bioshock series is very much the spiritual descendant of all of those games.
Yeah, already half way through SS2 by now, really enjoying it :)

Back