• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Bios CR2032's...Is anyone still selling cells with date codes on them?

salamontagne

Experienced Member
Had to run to radio-shack to replace a 2032 today. Didn't realise it untill i got home and had the cell in my hand that the only date code on the thing was listed in the cardboard backing. Seems pretty shady. Ive taken a quick look online and from what i'm seeing, thats the way it is with everyone nowadays. Last time i bid on a lot of maxells (it think) that had the date codes stamped in them. Luckily i had a cross-referance (lost now, sadly) that informed me that they were relativity fresh (1 year old)

Does anyone know where to get coin cells nowadays that have the mfg or expiry date either listed in plain english or a cross referance for ones that arn't?

Had to run to radio-shack to replace a 2032 today. Didn't realise it untill i got home and had the cell in my hand that the only date code on the thing was listed in the cardboard backing. Seems pretty shady. Ive taken a quick look online and from what i'm seeing, thats the way it is with everyone nowadays.

Energizer does I picked up some from Autozone..

View attachment 33919
Duh!... That's what he was complaining about. The date is on the cardboard but *not* on the cell itself anymore. :)

Yes they will last quite a long time in storage. The issue happens when some not-scrupulous dealer or reseller get his hands on 100,000+ that have been sitting in storage for nearly a decade. He pulls them out, fakes the newer packaging, and passes them on for a tidy profit. Even to well-known retailers. If the capacitor plague could effect well known motherboard manufacturers, why not batteries?

Granted, the most common markings on coin cells are in ink and can be wiped off with a cotton ball and acetone...

Yes they will last quite a long time in storage. The issue happens when some not-scrupulous dealer or reseller get his hands on 100,000+ that have been sitting in storage for nearly a decade. He pulls them out, fakes the newer packaging, and passes them on for a tidy profit. Even to well-known retailers. ...
And your source of this information is.....? Surely you didn't just pull this out of thin air. :)

And your source of this information is.....? Surely you didn't just pull this out of thin air. :)

To be perfectly honest, it IS a bit of a supposition at this point. But its one that's a bit reasonable, given the appearance of fake batteries in the past, like so:

https://www.wholesaleforum.com/discuss/safe-trading-advice-due-diligence-discussion-27/how-do-i-recognize-fake-maxell-batteries-4435/

I was just hoping for future sales I'd find a mfg and retailer thats taking precautions, before the above scenario rears its ugly head or becomes a problem.

MODERATORS: It might be best to move this post into the rants column. Sorry if this wound up where it shouldn't be.

To be perfectly honest, it IS a bit of a supposition at this point.
Fortunately, I don't believe everything I read on the internet -- and neither should you! :)

FWIW, I have some Panasonic 2032 batteries that expired in 2009 which means they were manufactured wayyyyyy before that. Even they only have the date on the cardboard packaging so I wouldn't hold out hope of finding anything current along the lines you have said you are looking for, i.e., with the date marked on the battery itself.

I need to buy some as well. Mostly I worry about somebody repackaging used one in Asia, but at the prices they charge on Ebay I can't see it as being worth the effort.

Given the value of CR2032 when you buy them in bulk (around 20 cent even for "brand" ones) it simply doesn't seem profitable enough to repackage them - it's not just the cost of producing the new package but also the act of unpacking the old ones and refitting them in a new blister. That and the fact that it is unlikely a manufacturer or big reseller is hoarding these so long that they get incredibly old. Used ones would even be worse - getting enough used ones of the same brand (It would look odd to have mixed brands in one blister) would be pretty hard, at least getting enough used ones that it would make it worthwhile to design and produce a new package for these. As for all scams - if it's not profitable it's extremely unlikely.

Back