• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Board Issue...

Stone

10k Member
I've been getting this off and on all day:

This site can’t be reached

www.vcfed.org’s server DNS address could not be found.

ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

And when I ping:

Ping request could not find host vcfed.org. Please check the name and try again.

Its been the same for me Stone. Last couple hours, I cannot connect to the site or the forum. And when I can connect and try to send or reply I get the hourglass and it times out half the time. Something is wrong it seems.

I'm not sure it is vcf-form problem. I've seen this on other sites as well. My suspect is it is your internet provider giving band width to video streaming.
Dwight

If your DNS server is not resolving our address then it is an ISP issue. (The address clearly resolves for other people and we haven't made any configuration changes.)

I wonder what folks are using for DNS? I'd suggest Google (8.8.8.8 ) or OpenDNS (208.67.222.222) as your DNS, or really anything but your cable providers DNS as those are notoriously bad (among other privacy related issues, not that there aren't privacy issues with google DNS either but it's likely better than the government monitored ISPs).

If your DNS server is not resolving our address then it is an ISP issue. (The address clearly resolves for other people and we haven't made any configuration changes.)

Doesn't mean it's not a site specific issue. The zone has to be hosted somewhere - usually either on the same network as the web site or a registrar.

The ISP I use isn't the biggest and sometimes they are the focus of DDoS attacks that can cause this type of intermittent behavior. I haven't had any issues today with this site. (I use Google for my DNS resolver).

Doesn't mean it's not a site specific issue. The zone has to be hosted somewhere - usually either on the same network as the web site or a registrar.

The ISP I use isn't the biggest and sometimes they are the focus of DDoS attacks that can cause this type of intermittent behavior. I haven't had any issues today with this site. (I use Google for my DNS resolver).

Given that the vast majority of people are resolving it just fine, it's probably not us.

We can delve into corner cases for a year ...

So, amusingly, I spoke too soon. I tried to connect about an hour ago and had the same issue as well (and i'm using google DNS). It's all good though, I should be working anyway. :)

No problems here this afternoon. My guess is a router problem somewhere buried in the internet backbone infrastructure. Often such a problem will cause certain areas of the world to quit working to some other area of the world. Running traceroute (tracert on windows) can be enlightening. Just now (745pm PDT) tracert from a windows 10 box returned this:
tracert www.vcfed.org

Tracing route to vcfed.org [104.192.220.12]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms wndr3700-3.lan [192.168.68.1]
2 5 ms 4 ms 3 ms L300.LSANCA-VFTTP-125.gni.frontiernet.net [71.189.116.1]
3 10 ms 6 ms 7 ms 172.102.97.132
4 7 ms 7 ms 7 ms ae8---0.scr02.lsan.ca.frontiernet.net [74.40.3.49]
5 10 ms 6 ms 6 ms ae1---0.cbr01.lsan.ca.frontiernet.net [74.40.3.214]
6 * * 6 ms lag-101.ear2.LosAngeles1.Level3.net [4.16.30.129]
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 7 ms 5 ms 6 ms GTT-level3-2x10G.LosAngels.Level3.net [4.68.62.2]
9 6 ms 6 ms 24 ms xe-1-1-1.cr5-lax2.ip4.gtt.net [89.149.180.234]
10 8 ms 8 ms 9 ms fe0-pronethosting.cust.lax02.packetexchange.net [216.193.192.162]
11 11 ms 6 ms 9 ms vintage-computer.com [104.192.220.12]

Trace complete.
The * in the timeing indicate packet loss. It looks like there may be congestion and/or problems where frontier (my ISP) peers over to Level3 backbone.
Almost always the solution to the connection probem is to "just wait", the telcom techs are probably busily working away.

No issues for me.

Serious issues with YouTube, but nothing here. But I haven't been here all day to know.

I'm betting it was just a random backbone issue today, maybe a line was cut somewhere and some routes were feeding along it. It's just the way the internet works and i've seen it before. It's probably fine now.

Back