• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Bondwell Portable Computer Model 14 - Are they Rare / $?

Tigger

Greetings,
I've just come across a Bondwell Portable Computer Model 14. It's in original condition, original manuals software etc. Just wondering how rare / collectable this might be. Also wondering if its actually worth anything these days?

Cheers,

Tigger

The Bondwells are very nice early Z80 suitcase machines and would probably be worth about as much as any of the others, give or take. I'm not aware of anything special about that brand over, say, a Kaypro or an Osborne so I'd use prices on those as a guide while maybe adding a little for the fact that it's a lesser-known system.

And yes, they are collectable and it should be worth something.

Greetings from New Zealand ..

Interesting forum . I have a Bondwell 14 , Had it from new , purchased in 1980 . Still have it in the original Packing carton with all the manuals etc .. Only ever set the thing up and turned it on a couple of times to see what one could do with it .. I was transferred overseas and packed it up again and stored it and there it has remained .. Sealed and back in the original plastic material and carton .. and so on .. Not a mark or scratch on it .. Must be worth something to a genuine collector in such condition ..

Anyone with any ideas of such value and just where the best place to sell it please let me know .. Much appreciated thanks .. Ian ..

I'd estimate a value of $100 in the condition you described.. I have 2 of them

Welcome to the forums, Ian. Don't know much about the machine you describe, but as Eric said in his earlier post, have a look at the Osbourne and Kaypro luggables (which are in the same class as your machine) at the homepage, http://www.vintage-computer.com Details and values of machines are updated rather frequently there, so you should be able to find a fair value.

As far as a place to sell, you could use eBay, since it's convenient. Or, you could sell in the Marketplace here.

I've noticed Bondwells are treated kind of like Zeniths. Generally, they don't get much respect as the Osbornes and Kaypros do.

Not sure why as Bondwell was definitely one of the earlier companies and from what I've seen always built pretty solid machines.

Plus the fact there aren't many of them on this side of the planet should add some to the value, but it doesn't seem to very much.

Curtis

Greetings from New Zealand ..

Interesting forum . I have a Bondwell 14 , Had it from new , purchased in 1980 . Still have it in the original Packing carton with all the manuals etc .. Only ever set the thing up and turned it on a couple of times to see what one could do with it .. I was transferred overseas and packed it up again and stored it and there it has remained .. Sealed and back in the original plastic material and carton .. and so on .. Not a mark or scratch on it .. Must be worth something to a genuine collector in such condition ..

Anyone with any ideas of such value and just where the best place to sell it please let me know .. Much appreciated thanks .. Ian ..

Since you specifically are from New Zealand, trademe in the Computers -> Vintage section.
Given all the original packaging etc, and especially if it still works, I'd set reserve at 100-150 but personally expect over NZD200. It can be hard though, you need at least two people who used them once-upon-a-time to fight over it - then it'll sky rocket. I'm not sure there is a point advertising internationally, because the cost of shipping out of NZ is too high, you'd need one very dedicated collector.

Sorry to OP for semi-off-topic.

Thanks kindly for your replies ..

I will place it on Trade me and on Sella , both New Zealand Trade sites .. Will see how it goes ..

Thanks again

Ian .

Thanks kindly for your replies ..

I will place it on Trade me and on Sella , both New Zealand Trade sites .. Will see how it goes ..

Thanks again

Ian .

I know I'll be bidding on it!
Original boxes, single owner, makes me drool at the mouth.

Edit: nvm, out of my price range, will be watching though :)

Last edited:
Back