• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Book about CPM

ziloo

Veteran Member
Hello Everyone :lol:

Can somebody suggest a good book on CPM that can explain the code line by line? I have a list of books from Amazon, but which one to choose?

Thanks

I have a number of CP/M books including"The CP/M Bible", "The CP/M Programmers Handbook" as well as the original Digital Research CP/M 80/86 handbook. Your best bet is to ask this question on the CP/M OS newsgroup. Could possibly generate a lot of debate from their extremely knowledgeable members.

Lawrence

The problem you're going to run into is that there is no 'standard' CP/M code. Every different system uses a different BIOS, and that code (& any commentary on it) will have to come from the hardware's manufacturer. Some manufacturers supplied the source, and some didn't (good luck). As for the other parts of the code, (BDOS, CCP), the DR manuals contain the well-commented source. There are also websites where these can be d/l.

As for general reference books, the ones Lawrence mentioned are both excellent. Waite's CP/M Bible, and it's companion volume, Soul of CP/M are great for beginner-to-intermideate level, and The Programmer's CP/M Handbook, by Andy Johnson-Laird is a very advanced work. There are a few other books that land somewhere in between, but those are some of the best to get you started with hacking CP/M.

--T

Oh yeah, I just remembered, I bought a CP/M book on eBay just last night, but not because I need it, I already have a copy. I just couldn't resist the great price ($0.99 + shipping, $3.50 = $4.49), and I knew I could find a good home for it. If you want it, you can have it for the same cost, I'll just have it sent to your address instead, if possible. View the auction details here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8761259656&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

--T

Thank you very much for the offer, Terry. As I am presently overseas, I have to set up a mailing system in the US for my correspondence. I will contact you when it is ready!

Back