• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Books for programming Windows 3.1

Unknown_K

Veteran Member
Anybody here bother programming for Windows 3.1? If so what books do you reference?

I figure since this winter will probably be long and cold I might fire up a 386 and try some programming.

Everything I have is pretty much Win 95 related but I recently snagged these:

1. Programming Windows 3.1 3rd Edition by Charles Petzold (983 pages)
This book includes a 3 1/2" HD floppy with source code and other files

2. Microsoft Windows 3.1 Programming Tools (265 pages)

3. Microsoft Windows 3.1 Programmer's Reference Vol. 3 (605 pages)
Messages, Structures and Macros

4. Microsoft Windows 3.1 Programmer's Reference Vol. 4 (340 pages)
Resources

5. Microsoft Windows Multimedia Programmer's Reference (approx 400 pages)

6. Microsoft Windows Multimedia Authoring And Tools Guide (approx 350 pages)

7. Microsoft Windows Multimedia Programmer's Workbook (approx 350 pages)

I also have the manuals that came with Microsoft C++ 7 (big box) , MS Quickbasic 7, Borland C++ 3.1 Aplication framework. Seems like Microsoft Press books are easy to use.

The Petzold book is pretty much the standard tutorial and very good. I've got it (and several other Petzold books). The Programmer's Reference books are just that--a reference.

Oh, wow. I've never actually tried my hand at Win3.1 programming...I did used to have a tutorial book for (I think) Borland C; all I really remember about it is that it had a lady painting a fish in the air on the cover. Yeah, that says "programming" to me...

Oh, wow. I've never actually tried my hand at Win3.1 programming...I did used to have a tutorial book for (I think) Borland C; all I really remember about it is that it had a lady painting a fish in the air on the cover. Yeah, that says "programming" to me...

I picked Win 3.1 because nobody else bothers with it and I like it. Seems people do Win 9x or DOS mostly.

Just something small for my use, a learning experience, nothing special. Just wanted something different to do.

I wonder if Microsoft will still register your 16-bit DLL. Does anyone know when the service was officially discontinued?

(To elaborate: In the bad old days of Windows, DLLs were not called by name, but by a (Microsoft-assigned) 16-bit number). If you were going to publish your software, therefore, it was important that your DLL number be unique. Microsoft handled this through either a mail-in form or a CompuServe email contact.)

Go with Petzold's book. Programming in Windows 3.1 was actually the first C/C++ programming I have ever done. A friend gave me a copy of Borland Turbo C++ 3.1 and some of the Object Windows Library reference manuals one summer. It was very crude back than. You had to use resource workshop to build the GUI, then use ProtoGen to create object prototypes, and finally create code in the Borland IDE (similar to how Apple's old XCode/Interface Builder pair worked). The MS tools were a heck of a lot more advanced in the end.

The Petzold book is the best. Should you be looking for other titles, Jeffrey Richter did some nice ones covering topics Petzold didn't.

Back