• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Boot to Command Prompt

I give up.

I formatted the hard drive and loaded the machine with my copy of Win 7 Ultimate and I could run Windows Update a couple times with much faster results than when I used the eMachine setup. At least it did not generate multiple Windows Explorers. But after the first 2-3 updates, the last time time I ran it it just kept searching for updates for at least 45 minutes before I stopped it - and then it took about 10 minutes to shut down.

I don't think this machine can handle Win7. PLus, I tried to use one of the tricks I learned to activate Win7 without going to the website and it failed with some message about this Win7 being a non-core edition (whatever the *** that means because it worked on my other machine).

So I decided to try Win XP 64 bit edition. The machine seems much faster. However all the NVIDEA devices are undefined (including the Ethernet device). It appears this machine may be using a NVIDEA nForce 430 motherboard. Went to the NVIDEA site and found the drivers, clicked to download and....nothing; no messages, just a blank screen. Happens with anything I try to download from that site. Can't get the drivers, so I can't use Win XP 64 bit.

I think at this point I will give back to my friend the PC he gave me a while ago. I am currently using the PC for internet access but after 4-5 days of screwing around with the eMachine, I give up. There seems to be no way to get it working well. That's 4-5 days of my life I won't get back.

Joe

Last edited:
Sounds like you might be having a licensing/activation problem.

Being an incredibly stubborn person, I kept looking for NVIDEA drivers and eventually found one for WinXP 64 and they worked. The machine now seems fully loaded and is running much faster than it was using the pre-installed Win 7 - it's like a different machine.

It took quite a while to get everything set because after I installed Win XP 64 bit, the IE supplied (v6) will not access most websites and therefore I couldn't download anything, including Firefox. So after I updated to SP2, I was able to load in Firefox which now lets me get to the internet from that machine.

Thanks to everyone for their help. Hopefully I can finish this today and get this PC back to my friend.

Thanks...Joe

Hi Guys,
A follow-up question without starting another thread.

After installing WinXP 64 bit, running in SP2 and then installing Firefox, I was able to access the internet (which allowed me to download/install IE8 although that is fairly useless). I then downloaded and tried to install AVG but got the message it is incompatible with my operationg system.

Anyone have AVG working with Win XP 64 bit? I know it runs on the 32 bit version. There's nothing on their website about Win XP 64 bit.

Thanks...Joe

Back