• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Bootable DOS 6.22 install CD?

aaron7

Experienced Member
Yah, kind of a strange request.

I have DOS 6.22 but it seems my disks are dead.

I have a P233MMX/128mb/20gb/Radeon 7000 DOS gaming system but Windows 98 has gotten corrupted and I need a reinstall.

I don't see a reason to have 98 on there as it just gets in the way of proper DOS gaming.

I need to reinstall DOS fresh with AWE64 drivers and CD drivers. I don't believe I need video drivers, correct?

I'm playing Duke3d, Doom, Daggerfall, Crusader, etc.

Anyone want to help out?

Wow, thanks!

Now I just need to find AWE64 and CD drivers and I'll be gaming in no time!

Oh, crap. That's just a bootable DOS CD. I need a bootable DOS install CD as I my copies of DOS no longer work.

Checked my pile of OS disks for a bootable CD to install DOS 6.22. No luck... It's possible to create your own, or so I've read, but that's no good if the floppies are bad.

A few years ago someone put something together called DOS 7.10, which was distributed as an ISO for a bootable install CD.
http://ms-dos7.hit.bg/

And I suppose you've heard of FreeDOS?
http://www.freedos.org/

Please keep in mind that there is a fine line between replacing a dead disk that you already own, vs. asking for something new.

You are asking for something new, and in the eyes of most copyright holders that is a no-no and is considered to be software piracy.

Please keep in mind that there is a fine line between replacing a dead disk that you already own, vs. asking for something new.

You are asking for something new, and in the eyes of most copyright holders that is a no-no and is considered to be software piracy.

Which is why I took the effort to *make* a bootable 6.22 cd and upload it for you- but just a boot CD.
As boot disks are readily available (bootdisk.com), I saw no harm in that. A full copy of DOS 6.22 is something else.
I assumed you did own DOS 6.22 on floppies, but had no (working) floppy drive in the P233 anymore.

Jorg,

I don't see a problem with the boot disk - it is the search for something installable that crosses the line.

Mike

Should be no problem if he already owns original 6.22 floppies, which he says he does.

The DOS files can also be found on the Windows 98 CD that he also owns. I doubt there's an easy way to make a bootable install disk from those though.

---------------

This entire issue is what makes FreeDOS so appealing. It's an open-source DOS clone, free for anyone to use, and is under active development (unlike MS-DOS that was abandoned years ago).

What am I not understanding here??? From my experience, a DOS installation disk is just some irritating batch file. If you got a bootable disk then you have the three files you need and you claim to have the rest. Sys C: and then put the rest of the files where you want. Done deal. :) If you are uncomfortable with some of that, we can help you here. :)

If you don't actually have all the files, or they are all broken, then perhaps FreeDOS is a good option. I don't know it's gaming compatibility but it seems very good for everything else. They have a bootable CD on their site. http://www.freedos.org/freedos/files/ The fdfullcd.iso is 153MB and can also run live.

A few clarifications - DOS/Windows

A few clarifications - DOS/Windows

I realize this is an old thread but many things were left un-concluded.

Some clarifications for the future:

Windows 9x are GUIs running on top of DOS. Windows 95 has MS-DOS 7.00. Windows 98/98SE have MS-DOS 7.10.

Windows ME has MS-DOS 8.00 although its capability to run on its own (rather than from the Command Prompt) was disabled. Patches to restore the full stand-alone useability of MS-DOS 8.00 in WinME do exist and are easy to find. The Command Prompt in Windows 2000, XP, Vista, and possibility 7, is based on MS-DOS 8.00

Owners of IBM/Lenovo systems are lucky in that the PC-DOCTOR for DOS is a bootable floppy set (or CD-ROM) based on PC-DOS 2000.

Since the system discussed here is legitimate with respect to Windows 98, re-installing this one is probably the best option and should not dis-advantage the gaming experience. It is possible to boot in pure DOS mode. Also, it may be nearly impossible to get MS-DOS 6.22 to recognize and use a 20 Gb hard-drive.....

you can take disk images and put the files in them on a CD, while making the CD bootable with another image of a simple DOS 6.22 boot disk that has CD-ROM drivers, which can be used to access the rest of the disk.

i'm sure this is taken care of by now though. o_o

Boot 6.22 CD-ROM

Boot 6.22 CD-ROM

I've found the best way to accomplish this is to gather up your OS disks, whatever they are, and make a boot CD using Nero. Nero will guide you through the "boot cd" process - a piece of cake. If you are concerned about CD-ROM drivers, then fire-up the trusty 'ol WIN98 Startup Disk and copy out the OAK CD-ROM settings and use them for your new CD's CONFIG.SYS & AUTOEXEC.BAT. Works for me with DOS, WIN95 & 98, and Xp. BTW, Nero has a promo on and I downloaded Nero 9 Upgrade for free (not a trial) about a week or so ago.

I've found the best way to accomplish this is to gather up your OS disks, whatever they are, and make a boot CD using Nero. Nero will guide you through the "boot cd" process - a piece of cake. If you are concerned about CD-ROM drivers, then fire-up the trusty 'ol WIN98 Startup Disk and copy out the OAK CD-ROM settings and use them for your new CD's CONFIG.SYS & AUTOEXEC.BAT. Works for me with DOS, WIN95 & 98, and Xp. BTW, Nero has a promo on and I downloaded Nero 9 Upgrade for free (not a trial) about a week or so ago.

Yes.. but at least keep your floppies.
My 1988 boot floppies still work, while some of my1998 CD-Rs are unreadable.

As an aside to this whole discussion, if any one is at a university/college that subscribes to MSDNAA chances are that you can get DOS 6.22 installation CDs for free via download. (A friend of mine goes to Mohawk College and he has several free DOS 6.22 CDs.)

Though I think FreeDOS is probably the best option (as I hear the 1.1 update will be arriving some time soon).

...Windows 9x are GUIs running on top of DOS. Windows 95 has MS-DOS 7.00. Windows 98/98SE have MS-DOS 7.10.

Windows ME has MS-DOS 8.00 although its capability to run on its own (rather than from the Command Prompt) was disabled. Patches to restore the full stand-alone useability of MS-DOS 8.00 in WinME do exist and are easy to find...

I can´t believe a couple statements were unchallenged here...

Some links for further exploration

Some links for further exploration

I'm uncertain about the meaning of the comment "a few statements being unchallenged here".

I presume it is because of the lack of links to webpages providing greater information:

http://www.ctyme.com/msdos7.htm makes reference to DOS 7 under-neat Windows 95 and 98 and many other web pages exist on the subject.

Beware that a number of the MS-DOS utilities behave slightly differently in real-mode than under the DOS-Prompt which respect to how the deal with file names. The most well known is xcopy which deals only with the 8.3 file names in real-mode and respects the full long file names under the DOS-Prompt. Similarly for the simpler DIR command.

With respect to Windows Me and DOS 8, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Me has a section describing the disabling of the real mode DOS in Windows ME by Microsoft and makes reference to the most well known patch:

>>>>> http://www.geocities.com/mfd4life_2000/ Real DOS-Mode Patch for Windows Millennium By Reines [MFD] Last Update: August 15, 2000

Othe ways exists too.

http://www.mvps.org/dts/WinME_DOS/Win-ME.htm Describes how to modify the Windows ME boot process to get a dual booting system.

If you're looking for a full install of a DOS, there is also DR-Dos (AKA opendos) here. http://www.drdos.net/download.htm
AFIAK, it is fully legal to download and use and gets you most of the bells and whistles of the later versions of DR-DOS.

Runs just fine on a XT clone.

I'll try DR-DOS, but I need this for gaming and I'm not sure if that will work right...?

Back