• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Booting PRODOS from HP-IB 9133XV Floppy

hexsane

Experienced Member
What I've been spending my time on recently:

pdboot.jpg

More info:

http://vintagemashups.net/2010/12/apple-iie-booting-prodos-from-hp9133xv-floppy/

This is an off shoot of the HPIB device on CBM machines work I'm doing also. I finally got my hands on an Apple IEEE-488 card and started coding once it arrived. :)

-Matt

Sounds like a lot of work. I wish that HP had used a more conventional floppy unit in the 9133, 9121 and 9122 series of drives. They spin at 600RPM and the controller won't accept any other type of drive. Those floppy drives are so rare now, that if one fails it's almost impossible to find a replacement(at least for a reasonable price). I have a 9133D with a bad Seagate ST419 hard drive that has failed. Since the hard drive fails the power on self tests, the unit goes into a fault mode and I can't access the floppy either.

There are companies that manufacture HP compatible floppy units but they tend to be rather expensive.

I have maybe 10-15 hours in it. Most of the time was figuring out how the blasted TMS9914 chip worked. Since I had already done this on a PET using a 6520 it was a matter of porting that code to the 9914's way of doing things. Doing this is my mountain. Its for *entertainment purposes only. :)

The drives that are 720k or below are 600 rpm. The 1.44 drives are 300rpm but require the SS/80 command set (my next adventure).

-Matt

*educational: I knew nearly zero about how the Apple II managed its peripheral slots programmatically. Now I know a lot about it. :)

Last edited:
Back