• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Brand recommendation for 5.25" DSDD floppies?

smbaker

Experienced Member
I used to buy GOLDSTAR disks from an ebay seller who turned out to be a crook (his disks were good though), but he doesn't have them anymore, and I'm not sure I'd buy from him if he did.

Looking for a new floppy brand to pursue, something reliable and available in the US.

Any suggestions?

Last year I was having problems with some 5.25" floppy drives and wanted to have "new" diskettes to help eliminate the diskette from being part of the problem. A seller on the auction site was selling Office Centre brand DSDD (non-HD) diskettes which I bought. So far not one has had a problem formatting and working as 720K (more or less) diskettes on various CP/M computers. I see they're still available in smaller quantities and would buy again. Yes, I do also have major brand name diskettes and a couple of boxes have begun to show problems due to age.

It's probably more of good storage than brand. Sadly, there's no way to see or tell how good NOS disks were stored.

The failure-rate of 5.25" DD disks I had so far, however, is very, very low. No matter what brand or if used or new. They are pretty reliable - unlike HD disks.

I went ahead and ordered a box of 3M. If they test out good, then I may grab another box. It's always good to have some on hand if/when they become unobtainable. Thanks for the recommendations.

Back