• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Broken links in older threads

A LOT of original web pages have died since then.....
Yes, but I'm talking about links to other threads within this forum.
It would appear the link formatting changed during a migration/upgrade of the forum.
All the links in the linked thread once lead back to this forum, when the site was vintage-computer.com instead of vcfed.org.
I wasn't a member way back then, but I believe that is why these, and many other inter-thread links, are broken.

Likely. Would be nice if some clever coder out there could write up a conversion system to translate the old links to new ones.
Then it would just be a matter of gradually replacing old links over time, either by staff/mods or by volunteers in the case of unlocked threads.

Breaking internal links is the single greatest sin of forum administration and should NEVER be forgiven

Breaking internal links is the single greatest sin of forum administration and should NEVER be forgiven
I was sitting at my desk today doing anything other than work and I was really trying to figure out how you fix something like that. The old forum internally links to itself but those posts are essentially frozen. For every link as you converted a forum from (usually) one proprietary database to another you would have to cache, detect and automatically edit every link both in and outside url tags to correctly redirect to the same post/page but under the new forum system. That I am aware of no such system exists that can do that.

I was sitting at my desk today doing anything other than work and I was really trying to figure out how you fix something like that. The old forum internally links to itself but those posts are essentially frozen. For every link as you converted a forum from (usually) one proprietary database to another you would have to cache, detect and automatically edit every link both in and outside url tags to correctly redirect to the same post/page but under the new forum system. That I am aware of no such system exists that can do that.
So you're saying there's a market for it!
I'm no coder, but I figure one way to do it would be to have a program that searches up the current location of what was being linked to via the keywords and append the new link to the old while inserting or deleting some character in the old link to invalidate/break it. (delete URL tags?)
That way, if anything goes wrong, the keyword clues of the old link are still available.
Still have to give it a way to recognize the difference between current/functional links, old/broken in-forum links, dead in-forum links, and old/dead/broken external links.
Not being a programmer, I have no idea how complex that would be!
Another option would be to insert the corrected links in a new post appended to the end of a thread, but that would be really messy, as all old threads would be brought to the forefront again. So yeah, nix that idea.
Is kinda scary to loose any such theoretical program upon the forum with full mod/staff-level editing permissions!
Not sure if there would be any way to do a dry-run for testing purposes.
Maybe test it on a single thread, then a sub-category, then a category, then the whole forum? That might catch any issues introduced by the scale of what it does.
Heck, even just an automatic link-conversion program on its own page where you could open a new tab, input an old link, and get the new one would be an improvement over doing the hunting yourself.

I too have thought about how to do this. Our small group had to do something similar in Oracle. Our users would often change data when upper management decided to change things up. It was a heavily manual process after the automation did what it could do. We'd have to look thru what it had suggested and make changes where it had gone wrong. We would then be able to do a dry run to see if things worked and roll-back if not. For here this would be a very difficult process I believe. And it would be highly still manual. I am not putting myself up for trying. Would love to see it happen as it's annoying to see a "page not found" error when it likely has very useful content.

Forum software database upgrades usually have a redirect mapping system in place. I know that is the case over at VWVortex. They had it in place when moving from zeroforum to vBulletin and they still appear to have it in place for old vB links after the move to XenForo.

Forum software database upgrades usually have a redirect mapping system in place. I know that is the case over at VWVortex. They had it in place when moving from zeroforum to vBulletin and they still appear to have it in place for old vB links after the move to XenForo.
Not knowing the specifics of this forum, I have no idea how feasible that would be for it, but it would be nice!
No idea if that would be easier than running an auto-replace program to fix the old links.

Or you could get around the problem by prefixing all detected broken links so that they point to a static copy of the older forum, like this:

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?16684-A-warning-about-Eric-Homan-%28Anaconda-Montana%29
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?16057-Buyers-beware

As you can see here, I changed the original links only, not the URLs outside of the BB code tags. I think that would be a better option in the long run because it keeps the original post intact for the reader/posterity. It might be a little confusing at first, but, if the older forum pages were framed inside a "From the VCF Forum Archives" page, it would become obvious that the link was redirected.

Last edited:
Or you could get around the problem by prefixing all detected broken links so that they point to a static copy of the older forum, like this:

http://web.archive.org/web/20100723075723/http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?16684-A-warning-about-Eric-Homan-(Anaconda-Montana)
http://web.archive.org/web/20100723...om/vcforum/showthread.php?16057-Buyers-beware

As you can see here, I changed the original links only, not the URLs outside of the BB code tags. I think that would be a better option in the long run because it keeps the original post intact for the reader/posterity. It might be a little confusing at first, but, if the older forum pages were framed inside a "From the VCF Forum Archives" page, it would become obvious that the link was redirected.
Oh! That's a neat solution! That'd work without risking the existing forum as much, maybe?

Back