• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Bronies

Avid brony here, hallo!

The show is one of those things where you watch the first episode and think to yourself: "This is so childish... just five more episodes." Before you know it, you've watched the whole first season and are punching yourself for getting sucked in.

I started out very skeptical. I did *not* want to stoop down to liking a show "intended" for little girls. The first two episodes were full of campy goodness, but still a bit too girlish/immature for my tastes. It's the season 2 episodes 1 and 2 that really get you. When I heard John deLancie's voice, being a ST:TNG fan, I just about cried with joy. He played the character fantastically, and the character itself was based on Q from the Star Trek series.

For me the appeal of the show is the camp, the adorableness without making you throw up, the visual gags played, the easter eggs (a fan-loved pony called 'derpy' has appeared at least once in every episode ever due to positive fan response, and her unofficial name even became official two episodes ago, when she also spoke for the first time), and the smooth animation and attention to detail (their manes and tail more or less obey the laws of physics even when the ponies don't. Gravity seems realistically simulated except when it isn't.).

Also, some of the faces they make are made doubly hilarious by their huge eyes. I have never seen a better incredulous look than what these ponies have thrown out. That combined with one pony who's attitude is based off of Deadpool from the marvel series (random, blatant disregard for physics and the 4th wall) make some parts of the show simply sidesplitting.

That's all I'll say for now.

I was waiting for someone to reply to this thread. That pretty much happened to me as well. The episodes never disappoint.

To fill what hole? It was created by the same person behind The Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, by the way.

They had to cut calling her Derpy officially due to complaints, but that won't stop people. They license merchandise with her name on it, anyway.

Back