• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

C64 PSU options for C64 + 1764 REU?

WimWalther

Experienced Member
I did a trade some time back that had a 1764 in my half of the deal. The other guy failed to mention (...) that the 1764 was missing the required heavy-duty PSU so I've been thusfar unable to try it out. Here are my options..

1) Make an adapter to use my C128 supply. Not a bad thought, but I've no idea where to get the square connector to join the C128 plug.

2) Buy one of the new upgraded "4A @ 5V" aftermarket supplies off eBay. I believe these are made in Poland? Would be a nice upgrade as they have a switch and are supposedly double-fused and almost triple the capacity of the stock supply.

Comments or thoughts on either? Other options?

When I need a PSU for a C64 or C128, usually I buy a 110/220V to 9V transformer and a 110/220v to 5v/3A power supply, the ones you can easily find on Aliexpress etc., like this one:
1660097939349.png
Then I take the original (and unreliable) Commodore PSU, cut and re-use the wires and throw the C= PSU. You get the 9V AC from the transformer and the 5V from the PSU.
I use to 3D print a case, but of course, if you haven't a 3D printer, you can use any case you have at home or you can find in a local store.
Those PSU are quite reliable and have some protection from fault, are quite compact and you can get more amperes than you will never need for few bucks.

When I need a PSU for a C64 or C128, usually I buy a 110/220V to 9V transformer and a 110/220v to 5v/3A power supply, the ones you can easily find on Aliexpress etc., like this one:
View attachment 1244667
Then I take the original (and unreliable) Commodore PSU, cut and re-use the wires and throw the C= PSU. You get the 9V AC from the transformer and the 5V from the PSU.
I use to 3D print a case, but of course, if you haven't a 3D printer, you can use any case you have at home or you can find in a local store.
Those PSU are quite reliable and have some protection from fault, are quite compact and you can get more amperes than you will never need for few bucks.
Sure, I've thought about this route but right now I'm trying hard to avoid more projects. Health is being a real problem, and I just don't have the ability to tackle much of anything right now.

But otherwise, yes, this is a perfectly viable option.

Speaking of projects sitting around, I've got all of the parts (new) for a C64 beefed up power supply. If you'd like, I can build one and sell it to you. As mentioned above it has a 9V transformer and a Meanwell power supply. I keep meaning to build an all Commdore 8-bit power supply, something that will take care of VIC-20/C64/C128/C16/Plus4.

Speaking of projects sitting around, I've got all of the parts (new) for a C64 beefed up power supply. If you'd like, I can build one and sell it to you. As mentioned above it has a 9V transformer and a Meanwell power supply. I keep meaning to build an all Commdore 8-bit power supply, something that will take care of VIC-20/C64/C128/C16/Plus4.
That's very thoughtful of you, but I went ahead and ordered one of the new Polish supplies. See my next post on that.

So as mentioned above, I ordered up one of the Polish supplies. They have several eBay listings, but I found one in particular where you can get the adjustable output version for the same cost as the standard, fixed output version.

I'm not really sold on the usefulness of this feature, though depending on their regulator it may have some use. Ultimately there's no need for a spot-on 5.00V output - 4.85V to 5.25V is probably fine, with stability and line/load immunity being the most important qualities. I'll just be happy to have a power switch on the PSU so I can quit bending to the floor to switch the power strip.

Btw, they're apparently backordered by a month..

Ehh, I would have just taken an existing 5v wall wart of sufficient current output, and bodged it into an existing c64 supply. Would have been the easiest solution.

Ehh, I would have just taken an existing 5v wall wart of sufficient current output, and bodged it into an existing c64 supply. Would have been the easiest solution.
Believe it or not, I don't have one lying around. And it's worth it to me to have a decent one-box solution with a switch, fuses and extra current overhead.

Anyway, most wall-warts aren't regulated.. though I suppose there's a better chance of finding a reg'd 5V unit since they are often intended for applications that require as much.

Back