• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Calif Comp Sys - Altair 8800 - MOSS ver 2.2 - PDF & TXT& ASM

ldkraemer

Veteran Member
I've just OCR'd the pages from the CCS's Altair 8800 (PDF) Document to extract the Version 2.2 MOSS Text (PRN File) and also created the ASM Source.

I've read it over numerous times, but there are probably still a few typo's in the documents.

Does anyone who has the CCS equipment have time to try to assemble the .ASM file, and see if it will assemble, and create a BIN that compares to
the Original EPROM BIN?

Thanks.

Larry

UPDATED - 09-25-2014 11:00 (Multiple Typo's)
View attachment MOSS22-revC.zip

Last edited:
Hi All;
LdKraemer, If it is the same Board Or Similiar that K1Atn is working on, Then Once He gets that Board working, Maybe He could Try it for You, I am Not trying to Volunteer Him for the Job..
I did from the .Bin file that He posted Write it to an Eprom for Him, And in the copy of the Manual He provided the Link for, say it was a Moss 2.2.. So, it could be the same..
After I look at Your file, I can try and see if it will compile using the Altair CPM3 Simulator from John Monahan.. If it is different Mnemonics then it won't compile correctly..
I can spot check the Text PRN file, against the .Bin file that I have..
THANK YOU Marty

Last edited:
Marty,
Yes, the PDF Document that k1atn posted the Link to was where I found the Documentation for MOSS Ver 2.2. I just used a script I had to create A PDF file of the pages
that contained the MOSS Information. Then created *.TIF files of those pages at 450 DPI. Then used Textbridge to OCR them as a Table or Spreadsheet. There was
a lot of formatting to do, along with the typical "O" to "0" (ZERO) and "l" to "1" etc. But, I think I have corrected so it should assemble properly. I just would like it verified
if possible.

After it is verified to assemble correctly maybe Al will accept and post the upload on Bitsavers.

THANKS.

Larry

Last edited:
Hi All;
Larry, I tried Your Code in the Sim for Altair using CPM3..
After renaming the file, it uses .z80 instead of Asm..
I found that it didn't like, many of Your opcodes, as for instance JMP and it wants JP.. I could change all of them, just to see IF it makes any difference in the output of the listing file..
I could see If I could use find and change them and then go on until I have what ever it complains about next, and change that..
But, I am not sure How much help that would be for You, since Even If I got it All to completely run,and then for it to work for You, You would need to change them all back..

THANK YOU Marty

Marty,
Thanks for the offer, but I am wanting to keep the Source Code as ORIGINAL as possible to what I extracted from the PDF pages. That way, when and if
I get it assembled, it will EXACTLY match the .HEX (BIN) Code for the EPROM. That will make it a lot easier to compare all of the HEX Bytes.

I did make a bit of progress. The Source must have been assembled with DRI's MAC.COM (Source named MOSS22.ASM) and there also has to be
the EXACT SAME Z80.LIB included on the same Floppy. The DRI assembler is patched as a "kludge" according to what I've read on the Internet to
produce .Z80 output, which doesn't match what M80 would produce as output. I've tried two different Z80.LIB files so far, and the second one gave
better results. If the Source Code had just been documented with a line stating the Date and File Size of the Z80.LIB it would have been much easier.
It's hard to guess which file they used in the late 80's, with no actual Source found via Google searches.

Does any Altair 8800 Owner have the MOSS22.ASM FIle available?

So far, I've got it down to about 30 L & P errors/warnings (Label & Phase), but it does produce a MOSS22.HEX file, which IS NOT 100% the same
as the Bytes on the Left Side of the PDF Document, but it's close. (I'm assuming the .HEX Bytes in the .PDF match 100% with the EPROM Code,
which might be an incorrect assumption.)

Another thing which might come into play, is I'm using my Kaypro II to assemble the Source. And the Kaypro could be structured different, and have
a different CP/M Version than the Altair 8800. I don't know anything about the Altair 8800. So, next I need a willing Altair user to take the Source
and Assemble it on a running system. That should give good results, assuming I've located all the Typo's and the code matches the PDF lines 100%.

Any Altair Owners willing to assemble the Source Code?

Thanks.

Larry

Last edited:
Hi All;
Larry, I ran into some problems, it is on an Altair simulator that is running CPM3.. He is using a different assembler, but the Hex files would be the same as long as the code is the same in the program.. I'll look into it some more and see if It already has the DRI assembler, or if I can port it over.. It is alot easier to do it First on the Simulator, and them after getting all the bugs worked out, doing it on the Real Hardware.. The Editing of the file would be much faster and easier to do on the simulator, than on the Real Hardware Editor..
I do have an Altair 8800, I have an 8080 CPU, it needs some fixing, (minor) along with John and Andrew's Z-80 CPU Board, But at this point I Don't have CPM and it doesn't look like I will be getting it soon.. I am still having major trouble with my ZFDC card.. Otherwise, I would be more than Happy to Help You..

THANK YOU Marty

Marty,
Thanks for offering. This morning I had an email from my brother that described what I needed to do. After adding a couple of MACRO's to the Z80.LIB source, I did
get it to assemble with no errors or warnings. I assembled it on my Kaypro II (CP/M 2.2) with MAC.COM (DRI's Assembler) with the Z80.LIB (modified a bit).

So, I finally got it finished. I've compared several different spots of the .PRN and it's 100% the same.

I'll be posting it within a few days. I've got some things to do today.

Hopefully, Al will add it to the information on BitSavers.

Thanks.

Larry

MOSS Ver 2.2 Source Code for Altair 8800

MOSS Ver 2.2 Source Code for Altair 8800

For the California Computer Sytem Altair 8800 Folks, here is the Monitor (MOSS ver 2.2) Source Code.

It took several days, but it assembles correctly, and matches what is contained in the .PDF.

Hopefully, it will be saved for future users.

Thanks.

Larry

View attachment MOSS22-1.zip
View attachment MOSS22-2.zip
View attachment MOSS22-3.zip

Last edited:
Back