• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

can anyone recommend a good web hoster?

Once my server and firewall are complete, I'd host it for you, as long as it is all legal, and won't be getting 1,000,000 hits a day... lol

I have been using Web Intellects (http://webintellects.com/) for two years now. Not the cheapest, but I am very pleased with their tech support, billing, bandwidth, etc. Brutman.com is hosted with them, and for what I've got posted they are overkill.

Do not go near GNX.

I use WestHost for my site and these boards. I've used LunarPages in the past with good results.

If you don't need much space or bandwith then you're probably okay just about anywhere, but watch out for some of the cheap hosts if you want to really use them. They have sneaky tricks (throttling down bandwidth, processor and database usage) they play on bigger customers.

As long as you have a broadband internet connection, why not host it yourself?
Have a firewall, and an old pc, or mac running linux with either apache or abyss web servers. You can even use your own domain!

Most broadband doesn't offer a good enough upload speed to host it. Like for instance. My 5Mb cable has only 110KB per second uploads.
If I had to download a file or something at 110KB a sec, I would near crap myself. Way too slow for broadband. Best thing is to have someone with trunk host it.

110KB/S isn't TOO bad. It'd only slow thing down if the site had a million photos, flash intros & ads, etc...

Most of a web site is just text. On average, a single page would load in about 1 second, then the photos would be about 7 seconds...so that's 10sec max...

lol, the second 25 people are using that site, then it gets hair pullingly slow.
110 is assuming they have a 5Mb account, most people's broadband is 256Kb, that is about 12KB/second upload. It would also slow your connection as well.
Remote, paid hosting is the most logical answer.

My cable modem has plenty of bandwidth - 5MB/s down, and 0.5MB/s up. An old Linux machine can handle that fairly easily.

However, for even the relatively $10 per month that my web hosting service provides I get a tremendous amount of bandwidth and quite a bit of storage. And I don't have to leave my home machine on 24/7 and worry about the security problems. There is a constant barage of port knocking on any connected system. The less often it is online and the less services you run, the safer it is.

So yes, I agree .. get a real web host. For many DSL and cable modem providers, static IP and the right to run servers requires a 'business class' of service which is significantly more than just home users want to pay.

mbbrutman said:
My cable modem has plenty of bandwidth - 5MB/s down, and 0.5MB/s up. .
Did you mean Megabits or Megabytes?
KB=Kilobytes = actual speed
Kb=Kilobits = the way internet companies measure speed
A 5/0.5Megabit connection is actually 600/0.62Kilobytes/s
Hosting a website at 62Kilobytes/s would cause severe bottlenecking with just a few people looking at it.
If you do have a 40Mb connection, wow.
Not being picky, just checking.

My bad .. should be small 'b's, not big ones.

Corrected numbers are 5Mb/s down and 1Mb/s up, or 640KB down and 128KB up.

It's so fast that I don't bother to track it anymore. :)

I have Comcast with 8 Mb/s down and 768kbp/s up.. Sometimes I have been able to get 900 kbps up. :) But I just want FIOS to come to my area already!!

Cheers,

80sFreak

Back