• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

can anyone tell me more about this vintage computer?

I believe that way back when, MAI leased refurb 026 keypunches, among other things. I remember seeing them with the IBM escutcheon replaced by an MAI one.

And portrait orientation just makes sense. .... Wide screen monitors are just stupid when it comes to using computers....
I agree completely, and it's fortunate that most modern operating support rotating the image on the screen through a key combination. So you can use the screen in portrait mode, most people don't though.

I find it really nice being able to open up email on one and web browser on another and then whatever I'm working on in the third. Because they're all in portrait they didn't fall off my desk. The other thing I don't see people using is the function of being able to connect multiple inputs and switch between them. So I actually had four monitors on my desk and the right most of the three was also connected via a different interface type to a different machine which also had a second monitor. Then it was simply a matter of hitting one of the quick function buttons on the front of the monitor and changing to the other input. Which let me run as 3 & 1 or 2 & 2. It was also handy for putting my goofing off on the third screen of my main system and then just simply hiding it with a quick input change.

Last edited:
Is there a repository for MAI basic 4 systems? I am looking for service or troubleshooting manuals. Want to know what to check when diagnosing this thing.

Back