• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Can DVD Drives Lose the Ability to Read DVDs?

I've been having some zesty issues with CD reading.

My modern machine has two older optical drives. One started to give up the ghost, so I bought a new one, and noticed I was getting weird noisy CD rips. The old drives tend to get correct results when using software that references the AccurateRip database; the new one was off. Even playing audio CDs directly in Windows Media Player is noisy.

So I bought three units of another model (~$8 each used) that had a good reputation. None of them get appropriate results either.

Four drives all incapable of reading audio CDs reliably seems a bit iffy.

I was able to boot off an external DVD so Win 7 is now installed. Interesting tidbit...now that I have enabled the the multi card reader, it shows up as a drive letter under Win XP but not under Win 7. I installed Win 7 with the reader disabled so I do not know if it would have caused the same drive letter issue as when I installed Win XP.

Just in case anyone is following my particular drama, I found that the drives that weren't reliable when hooked via direct SATA worked reliably through an old parts-box USB 2.0 to SATA/PATA adapter. Supposedly there's some noise about optical drives being happer in "IDE style" mode than "ACHI", but newer mainboards don't allow you to toggle that anymore. I've got a couple more adapters on order; I feel like what I should really do is just build up like an old duplicator cabinet, containing a hub and a bunch of different devices (LS-120 on PATA-USB, opticals on SATA-USB, and a Greaseweazle), so I can have All The Media even if I one day pick a case without external-facing drive bays (man, new ones are a pain to find)

Back