• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Can I use a tv as a monitor with my TL1000?

ractrav

I have an old TL1000 that I would like to log into one more time before getting rid of it. I am pretty sure that the Tandy monitor that I have for this computer is broken... when I turn on the computer, the monitor is black (obviously the monitor is on and plugged in) - when I turn off the computer, the monitor shows a white blank screen. I suspect that the cord that goes from the monitor to the computer is broken - there is one prong missing where the cord connects to the computer. Since this cord is attached to the monitor, I can't just replace the cord.

So, I was thinking that I might be able to use a tv as a monitor. Is this possible with the TL1000? If so, what cord do I need? How do I go about this? I am not that computer saavy, but am good at following directions!

Thanks for your help... Rachelle

Ok, I'm going to take a shot at deciphering this.

When you say that one of the "prongs" is missing, do you mean one of the pins in the 9-pin D connector? If so, is it actually broken or is it missing completely?

If it is indeed broken, then chances are it was essential to the video output. As far as I can see, it doesn't have a composite output like the 1000TX and others. Therefore, the short answer to your question would be no.

The only way to run it would be to put an 8-bit VGA card in and use a standard VGA monitor on it. It should work, but, it may be more trouble than it is worth.

Yes - sorry I do mean pins and not prongs (I'm not familiar with the lingo). The pin is completely missing. Does this mean, that it might not actually be broken?

Why would the monitor be acting the way it does? White blank screen when computer is off and black screen when computer is turned on.

THANKS!

1st my ibm monitor is white when there's no computer connected or its turned off so that's not a problem other cgas I've seen do the same as well
2nd which prong is missing?
my ibm is missing a pin but still works with my ibm and my 1000tl2 iirc its the 2nd pin over on the short row

It is missing the 2nd pin over in the short row. So... then is it my computer that is broken and not the monitor?

Ok, things seem to be the way they should be, so, not to be insulting, try adjusting the brightness and contrast wheels on the monitor when you have the black screen.

I have the technical reference manual, but, it's a LONG read and I'd like to eliminate the obvious before digging any deeper into it.

If it turns white when not connected but black when the computer is on, I agree -- try the brightness and contrast knobs after waiting 10 seconds. You might be surprised to see that one of them is all the way down and as soon as you turn it up, you see the cursor :)

If it truly is broken, then yes you can use any television as a monitor, but text will be hard to read and only about half of the video modes will be in color.

I just tried fiddling with the contrast and brightness buttons on the monitor (and for that matter, every other monitor button as well), but the screen was still black when the computer was turned on.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for all your help!

Since Trixter may have a TL and I have a TX, it may, indeed, have composite output.

It that is the case, then a cable with male RCA jacks on both ends would be needed and would be plugged into the Video In jack on an appropriately equipped TV.

The other option, as I mentioned earlier, would require an 8-bit, or 8/16-bit VGA card and a standard VGA monitor.

That should work on the TL, right, Trixter?

I don't see anywhere that a male RCA cable could plug into on my Tandy. (Unless it plugs into the plug areas marked for microphone and earphones). Installing a VGA card would probably be beyond my capabilities and costly. Is there a chance that it is my computer that is broken and not the monitor? My computer sounds like it boots up properly, but it is hard to know since nothing appears on my monitor (other than the black screen).

I don't recall ever seeing any composite outputs on the back of my 1000TL. That said, though, although I used the builtin CGA and even an EGA card on my 1000TL, it wasn't long until we upgraded it with a VGA card. Sorry I can't recall whether it was 8 or 16 bit, but I know it's a Paradise ISA card.

Ractrav, it is quite easy to install a VGA card - remove the screws on either side near the back of the case of your TL, then gently pry the bottom back of the case apart and rotate the back of the case forward towards you. Once you have the case top off, the card slots are at the back of the board. Remove one of the card slot covers on the back of the case by removing the single screw holding it in place, insert your card with the 15-pin trapezoidal jack to the back, then reuse the single screw you removed to mount the card in place. Put the case back on in the same manner as you did when taking it off - notice you have to thread the power button through the hole on the front of the case. Plug your computer and VGA monitor in and you should be good to go...

I don't see anywhere that a male RCA cable could plug into on my Tandy. (Unless it plugs into the plug areas marked for microphone and earphones). Installing a VGA card would probably be beyond my capabilities and costly. Is there a chance that it is my computer that is broken and not the monitor? My computer sounds like it boots up properly, but it is hard to know since nothing appears on my monitor (other than the black screen).

Well, I didn't see any indictaion of composite jacks on the schematic either, but, Trixter seemed to imply that there was a way to hook it up to a TV. Perhaps he has something else in mind.

Installing any card in a TL isn't that hard as Brendan pointed out and, since you mentioned that you are good at following directions, DO IT!!! LOL

Old VGA cards are pretty cheap on FleaBay. My 8-bit cards are more expensive because they aren't as common.

Several people here have 16-bit cards in 8-bit slots (which is all that your TL has) and they might be able to make some suggestions as to makes and models that work.

Back