• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Can you identify this component?

WimWalther

Experienced Member
Fellow nerds,

I picked up one of these cheap Bluetooth speakers off eBay - it was around $15 shipped. Turns out that it sounds pretty good and the build quality is much better than expected.

But as is so often the case, the firmware has several annoyances that seem trivial to fix.. maybe more on that later.

IMG_20220713_054414887_HDR~2.jpg

But the reason for my post: Can you please take a look at the closeup pic and tell me what the small, round part is, that's to the left of the USB-A connector? It measures 4mm in diameter.

IMG_20220713_054525285_HDR~2.jpg

If it's what I think it is, it's sure in an odd location..

Thanks!

Should be a mic for voice commands or making phone calls from a connected phone.

The location isn't odd but most likely to avoid a feedback loop from the speaker.

Last edited:
Should be a mic for voice commands or making phone calls from a connected phone.

The location isn't odd but most likely to avoid a feedback loop from the speaker.
I'm thinking it's a mic as well. As to location, it's inside of a closed compartment on the side opposite the drivers. Your point about feedback is well taken, but I'd expect fidelity to suffer quite a bit (which it does, sounds muffled, rolled-off).

Point is, I want to be rid of it..too much creep factor for me. I'd been expecting a front-mounted mic with a cable to the PCB, but it looks like they just stuck it on the board.

I don't see any solder tabs, so I take it they're underneath? Maybe press the iron right to the mic case til it comes loose?

ETA: 2-3 seconds with an 800F iron and it slid right off. Good riddance.

Last edited:
Back