• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Can't guarantee it's from a computer, but what is this component?

GearTechWolf

Experienced Member
This is an old component I ran across in my parts-drawers recently and was unable to identify, you folks got any ideas?
UnknownComponent-1.pngUnknownComponent-2.pngUnknownComponent-3.pngUnknownComponent-4.png

If there's no continuity, check the capacitance between the leads. It's not unusual to see disc ceramics "trimmed" to a specific value with a slot machined in. I don't know if this applies to your device.

No continuity. Ductile as normal component leads of this thickness, was clearly installed in a through-hole board once.
No capacitance, at least nothing that lasts longer than less than a second before dropping to zero, no matter the setting on the meter.
Feels like an early plastic casing, maybe Bakelite era, so PBirkel might be closer than expected! At least date-wise.

Looks like a vintage radio or tv capacitor that has been trimmed - see if this google search helps you out
vintage "el menco" capacitor
Similar certainly, but not quite a match. Those are marked with dots and usually have the name molded onto the casing.
Definitely looks similar casing materials/era though!

Don't you have a universal component tester?

That would tell you if it was a capacitor. I was wondering about a spark gap...

Don't you have a universal component tester?

That would tell you if it was a capacitor. I was wondering about a spark gap...
Nope! I have a Cen-Tech 61593 multi-meter. Capacitance range of 2nF to 20uF.

Similar certainly, but not quite a match. Those are marked with dots and usually have the name molded onto the casing.
Definitely looks similar casing materials/era though!
point was not to match them, it was to suggest this is a capacitor similar to the El Mencos. There are plenty without dots, etc.. I agree with g4ugm - a capacitance meter would help.

Basically what I suggested at #4. However, the range of the OP's meter isn't good enough to check caps in the pF range, as Dave suggested in #10--so of course it reads zero.

I recommend getting one of these if you're strapped for cash. Really pretty good at answering "What is this" questions. There are multiple copies of this open-source project on Amazon and eBay.

I use an old bridge LRC meter, when needed. It isn't digital but works well enough. It is large and bulky, so a pain to drag out, but it has very accurate readings. It does down to pf as well.
Dwight

Basically what I suggested at #4. However, the range of the OP's meter isn't good enough to check caps in the pF range, as Dave suggested in #10--so of course it reads zero.

I recommend getting one of these if you're strapped for cash. Really pretty good at answering "What is this" questions. There are multiple copies of this open-source project on Amazon and eBay.
I have one similar to that and has been well worth the money! :)

I should note that ceramic capacitors are often notched like that for high voltage applications to allow some arcing if the voltage gets too high.
Dwight
That is correct, they are a filter capacitor, often 0.1uF with an integral air spark gap. Typically, you will find them in CRT circuits on the CRT's gun electrodes as DC filter devices and protective spark gaps. Often they take the form of a thick looking ceramic capacitor, with a slot sawn in the top of it. Sometimes spark gaps are present in some CRT systems, but they are less obvious. Some manufacturers built them into (inside) the CRT's base socket and you would not know they were there, unless they deploy. I think (as I recall) the IBM-5153 VDU has integral spark gaps in its CRT socket, I would have to check.

Back