• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

cassette software question

Computer Collector

Experienced Member
The other day I went to the thrift store and couldnt believe it; my dream came true! There, on the top of a pile of tapes, was a TRS-80 software cassette. Actually, its not much of a dream come true; there was only one, and it looks like its probably going to be a boring game (I dont like card games). Anyway, I was happy to find this tape, as its my first piece of actual trs-80 cassette software (professionally produced). On one side of the tape we read:

Blackjack
level II
TRS 80

and on the other side we read

Backgammon
level II
TRS80

Its a very nice looking white tape housing with a chrome and white label. What does level 2 mean? Anyway, I put this thing into my cassette player (which loads and saves my own BASIC programs just fine and typed in:

CLOAD "BACKGAMMON"

and hit enter.

Sure enough, I could hear the squelch of the software loading. But it never gave me the "ready" signal. In other words, it didnt load properly. Is this because I sould have CLOADed something different than "BACKGAMMON"? what type of mistake do you think I made?
I could not run the program.
I have a model 4 with a tandy computer cassette player.

It probably's just a glitch in the transfer (a very common problem). Try adjusting the volume level up or down a little. IOW, experiment with it. (If you do get it to load properly, be sure to make a copy onto some new media).
Also, you might try to cload it without specifying the filename, just in case.

--T

The "level II" means Level II Basic (as opposed to the original level 1). If you're hearing squeals from the tape that's a bad sign, but not necessarily the end of the world.

To run the Backgammon or Blackjack programs:
1. Rewind the tape, either side. Press Play on the tape (it will not run) Set the volume to 5 1/2 - 6 1/2 (assuming you have a model CTR-41 or similar.) "factory" tapes need a slightly higher volume than self-recorded.
2. CLOAD [ENTER] (because there is only one program on either side you don't have to specify a file name)
3. You'll see the asterisks, etc. as you problably already know,etc.
4. RUN

Thanks for the help guys. Actually, I realized that my tape player is broken. Its a compact Computer Cassette drive made by Tandy, and I think Im just going to throw it out, unless one of you guys wants it.

I found an old 1978 TRS-80 catalog at the thrift shop. Its real cool to look through. Sure enough, this tape is one of the first few programs made for the model 1!

Ive got an Optimus tape player that I bought at Radio Shack a year ago that Im going to try to use instead.

Back