Ok so:
Cpu 6502:

pin 40: Low at power up and then high
pin 6: high
pin 4: high
pin 39: pulse
pin 7: LOW

It’s possible - but quite unlikely.

It is more likely something on the address decoding or ROM side (kernal or PETTEST ROM).

Monitor the CPU SYNC pin on startup and see if it attempts to execute any instructions at all (i.e. you observe pulses on the SYNC pin).

If you do observe initial pulses - but then they stop - time to break out the NOP generator...

Dave

Dave, no pulses on cpu pin 7......Always low signal also when i press power button :(

Good morning other Dave...

I don’t know where begore came from! I meant before of course :)...

Is the 6502 CPU in a socket? If so, it is easy to make up your own NOP generator with a couple of 40 pin IC sockets and a few 1k resistors. I can guide you.

Alternatively, there are a couple of ROM/RAM replacement cards that also contain a NOP generator and my diagnostics. As you are repairing a lot of Commodore PET machines, I would advise purchasing one of these cards as a Christmas present to yourself! It will save you a lot of time in the long run.

Dave

Good morning other Dave...

I don’t know where begore came from! I meant before of course :)...

Is the 6502 CPU in a socket? If so, it is easy to make up your own NOP generator with a couple of 40 pin IC sockets and a few 1k resistors. I can guide you.

Alternatively, there are a couple of ROM/RAM replacement cards that also contain a NOP generator and my diagnostics. As you are repairing a lot of Commodore PET machines, I would advise purchasing one of these cards as a Christmas present to yourself! It will save you a lot of time in the long run.

Dave
Yes cpu is in a socket but i have one Nop, what can i do with this nop?
Thanks!

You have a NOP generator then? Sorry, I misread your post!

If you do, put it into the CPU socket, along with the CPU, and see if the CPU executes instructions continuously (as evidenced by the CPU SYNC pin continuously pulsing).

If this is the case, we can then move on to look at the address deciding and the ROM selects.

Dave

Cpu 6502 with NOP:

pin 40: pulse
pin 6: high
pin 4: no signal
pin 39: pulse
pin 7: pulse

When you say there is a pulse on pin 40, what do you mean? The signal should go LOW at power-up (reset) and then go high - and stay high.

What do you mean by “no signal” on pin 4 (/IRQ). This signal should be HIGH.

It is good that pin 7 (SYNC) is pulsing. This indicates that the CPU is executing instructions (presumably NOPs)!

Dave

When you say there is a pulse on pin 40, what do you mean? The signal should go LOW at power-up (reset) and then go high - and stay high.

What do you mean by “no signal” on pin 4 (/IRQ). This signal should be HIGH.

It is good that pin 7 (SYNC) is pulsing. This indicates that the CPU is executing instructions (presumably NOPs)!

Dave
Yes on pin40 signal go low and after high!
Pin 4: i can't read any signal (no pulse, no high and no low) logic probe led stay off :(

OK!

UE12:
PIN 1 TO 17 : PULSE

UD6 PIN 20: PULSE
UD7 PIN 20: PULSE
UD8 PIN 20: PULSE
UD9 PIN 20: PULSE
UD10 PIN 20: PULSE
UA3 PIN 20: LOW

So that looks Ok.

UA3 is the character generator with pin 20 permanently grounded - so that is correct being LOW.

Do you have an oscilloscope by any chance?

Dave

Yes, i have this mini scope like in picture.

Attachments

• Schermata 2021-12-28 alle 18.12.00.png
    Schermata 2021-12-28 alle 18.12.00.png
    241.2 KB · Views: 2
A first test with the NOP Generator:
Using the scope, look at all the buffered address lines from BA0 to BA15 one at a time. Start with BA0, it should be a 250 KHz square wave. BA1 will be half that frequency and so on. This is because the CPU is incrementing through all the address space. You will be looking for something that is NOT a perfect square wave: that would be the problem signal. Probe the ROM that is farthest from the CPU or the expansion connector.
-dave_m

A first test with the NOP Generator:
Using the scope, look at all the buffered address lines from BA0 to BA15 one at a time. Start with BA0, it should be a 250 KHz square wave. BA1 will be half that frequency and so on. This is because the CPU is incrementing through all the address space. You will be looking for something that is NOT a perfect square wave: that would be the problem signal. Probe the ROM that is farthest from the CPU or the expansion connector.
-dave_m
Hi Dave_m! we're all Dave here ;)
Must i look BA0 to BA15 directly on the cpu pins?
Thanks!

So this is scope on cpu pin 9 (Ba0).

Attachments

• Schermata 2021-12-29 alle 10.45.47.jpg
    Schermata 2021-12-29 alle 10.45.47.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 3
Back